mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Just finished looking at the Durango thread and got spooked! I've ordered a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab w/ the hemi, and the Larimie package along with trailer tow and positraction ( 2 wd ). Any opinions on these trucks? Anybody got an 02 or 03? I'm replacing my 01 F150 supercrew, which I really liked ( milage sucked 11-14 ). I based my desision on the 97 Dakota I had, no problems, 318 engine, good dealer. So far, everbody I know with the new Ram likes them, but any opinions would be appreciated. I would have got a new F150, but could'nt resist the extra 105 HP. I know, I'm a power junkie. I have'nt got my truck yet, and according to the dealer its being built today in St. Louis, Mo. I've only got a $500.00 deposit down, so I guess its not too late!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That extra 105 is WAY up in the RPM's....
The only thing I've heard about them is positive.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Dodge appears to me the worse of the bunch inflating their milage numbers the last decade.
As far as the new Rams go, I wouldn't buy a full size to find my head 1" from the upper door post - they curved the roofline in too much, me thinks.

Test all three (or four) brands

jjcobra99

Oct 17, 2002
According to Consumer Reports, it's the worst of the bunch. They are rated very poor for reliability, and it looks like the transmissions are the biggest problem in their history. Ford is rated above average for reliability, and the only reason they didn't recommend it are crash test results. Chevy and Toyota were both rated very good. Like someone else said, you should definitely drive all of them before you make your final decision. And if you are that power hungry, maybe you should step up to a tree stump pullin' diesel. The new Ford PowerStroke makes 325HP and 560 lb/ft torque! As a side note, a diesel will typically outlast a gas motor three to four times over. Hope this helps!

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Alright, this is my take on consumer reports.......I trust thier opinion for gas mileage and such but nothing else. Talk to a mechanic, talk to owners, talk to people who use the trucks hard, as in lawn services and snow plowing. I have seen many many of these trucks with a 1000 pound snowplow (I am a mechanic at the shop) on the front and I have heard no complaints with the trans.
I have heard that dodge has had some trouble with the automatics in the past but I have heard that they have been beefed up and or replaced (in the case of the hemi) with sturdier units.
IMO, any truck you buy today if taken care of will be reliable.

Tim
Ps. I have talked to people at dodges pvr, They say that the hemi is detuned severly for the trucks to aid traction. I simple switch of the computer will net around 75 more hp. hehehehe.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Camstyn
If you don't like your fuel mileage now, you're going to hate it with the HEMI..

YEP! My cousin works at a Dodge dealership. He drove a 4x4 Hemi from one dealer to his...got 7 miles per gallon! 2WD will be better, but not much. :|

My uncle has a 1500 quad cab with 4.7 and the best mileage he has got, is 13.

I never have understood why Dodge can't bump their mileage up to Chevrolet's or at least Ford's numbers.

But now my Chrysler Sebring is another story. I get 28 around town and 34 on trips...

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Thanks for all the info guys. I did go and drive all the choices availible, incl. Chevy & GMC. The GM products are consistantly 2500-3000 more expensive than Ford or Dodge, and really did'nt impress me as being that much if any better in regards to function or drivability. I've liked my 01 supercrew very much, but I've never liked any ford as regards to the steering "feel". They are IMO hypersensitive with very little road feel, so this time I'll try the Dodge. My dealer called and said it will be here tommorow, so I'll keep you all posted with milage figures and such. A K&N air filter increased my Ford milage 3 mpg, so I'll be putting the whole intake kit on this Dodge. Plus, looks like a new chip may be in the works as well (we all need 75 more HP don't we?). I may have to upgade the tires on my trailer to H rating! Thanks again.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by CAL

My uncle has a 1500 quad cab with 4.7 and the best mileage he has got, is 13.

I can't speak for the HEMI but I have an '02 quad cab with the 4.7 and have put nearly 45K miles on it. Average is about 15-16 in town and 19-20 on the highway.
I personally think the 4.7 is a little weak on hills but I have pulled a bobcat with a 16ft. trailer and had no problems.
I have heard complaints about the tranny but have not experience any. I have always driven full size Chevys but wouldn't trade the QC for one because of the room.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by mikromo
I've never liked any ford as regards to the steering "feel". They are IMO hypersensitive with very little road feel, so this time I'll try the Dodge.

the Dodge will be very sensitive to "bump steer" but turns well

QUOTE] A K&N air filter increased my Ford milage 3 mpg, so I'll be putting the whole intake kit on this Dodge. Plus, looks like a new chip may be in the works as well (we all need 75 more HP don't we?). I may have to upgade the tires on my trailer to H rating! Thanks again. [/QUOTE]

If you get an aftermarket kit, get one you can easily replace with the stock breather for warranty purposes. Also, the Dodge has one of the best air induction systems on the '02 & newer trucks. Compares reall well with aftermarkets if you use less restrictive filters.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
I have a 99 Dodge Ram with the 318. I think it is a gutless wonder. Only 14 mpg on a good day and wheezes with a 2000 pound load. For my next truck, I doubt I'll be looking at a Dodge.

Jimbo

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've just purchased a '2WD 03 1500 RAM with a 5.7 Hemi, and the thing really hauls arse :moon: . I get about 19 on a flat stretch of highway and 13.5 combined (with a light foot). If you put your foot into it, you can almost hear the gas guzzling away. It's real tough to resist playing stop light racer with it, but the tickets and gas prices have kept me sensible. Like any truck, it has a lot of wind resistance, so acceleration drops considerably after 65 mph.

A few of things I don't like: Plastic tie-down hooks in the bed, the "hand holds" inside the cab next to the windshield and the truck bed is too high (the 2WD is nearly as high as the 4WD). I'll have to get roll-up garage doors if I need to load up two bikes the night before a ride (the flat wood garage doors don't have enough clearance unless I lean the bike way over).

Top Bottom