BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
XRP and KWJ are on the money. Last nite I witnessed 2 large whoops develope on a freshly groomed track.
1. As a motorcycle or ATV accelerates the wheel spin displaces dirt until the tires ride on top of the soil.
2. As more and more riders accelerate in the exact same place, the first whoop is born.
3. As more and more riders accelerate in the exact same place, the suspension compresses momentarily on the exit side of the whoop, the rebound raises the weight of the bike up and then gravity starts to bring it back down. When the least amount of weight is on the rear tire, wheel spin begins the next whoop.
4. This cycle continues until a sufficient distance is covered allowing the tires to ride on top of the soil.
If riders would not spin their wheels or lock up their brakes there would be no whoops. This would make the greens happy but making riding kinda like golf.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The whoops I've seen formed were done by a D-8 and a couple of Bobcats!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I watched whoops form at Glen Helen today. A fairly long, smooth, sandy straight with 90 degree corners at each end. Acceleration bumps out of the first corner began to form, braking bumps at the end. During the day the whoops got bigger and the two sections got closer to the middle. They never did quite meet, but I thought of this thread all day. :)

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by BSWIFT
This would make the greens happy

BSWIFT,

I respectfully concur except for the part about the greens being happy. In reality, they will never find true happiness.

I have have a lot of mulling to do, being that I always thought whoops were created by small meteors crashing to earth millions of years ago. Lots of food for thought here.

:) :) :)

Chief

Jul 12, 2021
Well. Looks like I'm about 20 years late for this. Grrr, I'm gettn old. So I Just googled "What causes whoops, Dirt Bike/ATV" and I found this thread. I just moved to Florida and got some passes to some OHV parks and they are EVERYWHERE! (dont get me started on the sand)... But I have a theory! As I was riding the whoops, I realized that I was accelerating down (\) to get a lil speed, and up (/) to launch myself off the top. When you think about it, you're just digging that gap wider and deeper with every pass. What's really hard for me to wrap my head around is why the form in the FIRST PLACE! Maybe it just starts with random cracks of the throttle, holes get dug, people ride the holes, do what I said before and patterns emerge. But they're so freaking uniform it's like someone put it there on purpose... Oh, yeah. The Devil... Guess Y'all were right

Sep 1, 2021
it is the magma pressing up from inside the earth on these special places you hit the top and magma is attracted the bearings in your rear wheel so it pushes up on it *dont fact check me lol

Top Bottom