how can i fix the dents in my pipe

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Bondo and black paint to match.

Seriously, there used to be an outfit that advertised in cycle news with a quick turn-around and really reasonable price's. A friend sent a really mashed pipe and it came back like new.

You have to have radiator shop type plugs, one with a schrader valve and pressurize the pipe...then apply heat to the dent. You really need to understand metallurgy know what your doing because this can be potentially very dangerous! Unless you (or know someone) who has this knowledge/skill, send it out to someone, or buy new.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Send it to www.piperepair.com, or you can do it your self.

DISCLAIMER : If you blow your self or anyone else up, or damage yours or any others property, it is not my responsiblity and I can not be held responsible for damages. I dont not intend for any one to do this, it is for the general information only. No, I did not just make this up, it was in a issue of DIRTBIKE a year or two ago. Remember, molten metal does not make a nice shower!

Now that thats out of the way- Plug the big end of the expansion chamber (engine end). It must be a perfect seal. Now, put a air compressor hose in the small end and seal it in perfectly also. I cant remeber the exact amount of PSI but keep it under 35 (It may have been way higher but incase somone does try it I dont want to blow them up, If the dent doesnt press out increase the pressure slowly). After you have about 35 PSI of pressure in you pipe and there are no leaks fire up the oxy-acetelyene and start torching it. Dont hit the oxygen or you'll have more problems then you started with. Slowly, heat the pipe where the dent is and it will start to push out. Dont over do it. Once it is to where you want it take away the heat and let it cool, keeping the pressure on slightly, but lower it. Once the cherry colour has gone, take off all the pressure and let it cool totally. Remove the plugs and your go to go.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
rm_racer,

I think thats the place. Ya can't beat $50 compared to the price of a new one. And they do come back like new. Good call. One day turn around...yee ha!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I had my pipe on my 05 YZ 250 repaired for $50. They did an aweome job. The paint they use does rub off easier than the factory stuff, but it's no biggie.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
If your going to do it yourself id suggest an inert gas if available to lessen the flamablility problem.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…