ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
get a BFH and a punch and knock it out. take it to a machine shop about lunch time and catch the welder as hes leaving for lunch, with pizza and a coke, you will easily talk him into tig welding the resulting hole shut. take it home and drill and tap.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
This is a full threaded bolt, about 4 inches long. Whats the chances of being almost out, nope, buried. The option of blowing it out with a larger hole would seem the best, and just weld it closed and start over. The stock swingarm retail price is staggering!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
No matter what you try to modify the bolt to turn it out--i.e. welding, slotting, two nuts etc.--you will have to first address the problem of seizure/binding or you will just be swimming uphill. I've had OK luck with lot of heat and patience, but let's face it, this isn't an easy bolt to get to. You won't be swinging a mini sledge against a pair of huge vise grips here. Drilling, filling and tapping doesn't sound that efficient to me either, honestly. I'd be tempted to stop now and take swingarm to a good machine shop. Probably lot cheaper than a new/used swingarm.
If your town is too small to have a machine shop, go to a bigger town!! Or you can always look online for a used swingarm and set this one aside for repair later.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The area of aluminum that holds the threads is thin. A small dremel bit can cut it out really easy, its only about 1/4" thick. You do have a straight shot at drilling and tapping, Do not hit the swingarm with the chuck! That part retails for a shade over 600 dollars.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
efficient or not, i had the exact same problem. fixed it quicker than reading this thread. i dremeled it flush punched it through, drilled and tapped. only problem is one 8mm and one 10mm adjuster bolt. not a BIG problem for a guy with two wrenches. the piece of bolt that got punched through was so small ive never noticed the added weight either :cool:

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The area of aluminum that holds the threads is thin. A small dremel bit can cut it out really easy, its only about 1/4" thick. You do have a straight shot at drilling and tapping, Do not hit the swingarm with the chuck! That part retails for a shade over 600 dollars.
Could he screw it (or whats left of it) all the way in. to clear the thread so he can use a new bolt?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If it moved, I suppose it could go in. I am pretty sure the bulk of the corrosion is on the inside. Sure beat a lot of bs, for a little rattle? Then that slot will come in handy!

Top Bottom