How did you decide- 2stroke or 4stroke?

gwcrim

Subscriber
As Rober DeNiro once said as he was invading a beach head in Vietnam:

"I love the smell of castor oil in the morning........."

1- The 2 strokers were all cheaper than the 4s that I looked at.

2- I wanted a big bore but not one that needed an electric leg to start. Call this reason 'simplicity of design' I guess.

3- And then there's that BIG HIT of a 2 stroke powerband that makes dirtbiking fun, IMO. I've always been the kinda person that likes far more powerful toys than I need.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
The maintenance. Sure a 4 stroke can take a bit more abuse, but working on them is an undertaking.

2 strokes are just plain easy to maintain yourself.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
Originally posted by gwcrim
As Rober DeNiro once said as he was invading a beach head in Vietnam:

"I love the smell of castor oil in the morning........."
Footnote: It was the equally talented Robert Duvall, not DeNiro, who said that (Apocalypse Now)...

gwcrim

Subscriber
Eh... Duvall.... DeNiro....

I'm a big picture guy. Can't let the details get in the way of a good story now can I? :confused:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
I tell you what though, that Emilio Estevez sure has some acting range - going from Apocalypse Now to Mighty Ducks!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
For years I had a 2s for racing around and a 4s for trail riding and riding with the family, one day I rode a buddies 426 and said this is the one do all bike for me, well I lied cause a week later I had the most perfect do-all bike in my garage.....a KTM 520 mxc, gear it down for tracks and trails, it's a blast, gear it up for Desert racing and hold on and now it's being Dualsported., it will do all very good

ktmboy

Subscriber
Started out riding 4's 'cause they're easy to learn on. Rode a buddies 250 2-stroke and found out I was faster on his bike than I was on my 500 4, so I compromised and went out and got the 360 2-smoke. More power, less weight, a nice exhaust note, and yes, that magic mid-range 'hit'.

Originally posted by Dogman5
My bet is the 2-stroke ^

Just gotta love that "ying, ying!"

at first when i actually looked into buying a bike...i didnt like the pinger sound....i thought the mx 4 strokes were way better....but now that i have a 2 stroke i love the sound, and the 2 strokes are a much more simple design....and they dont have the massive exhaust like 4 strokes do

"The sweetest sound in the world is the sound of a thousand two strokes, all seizing at once." :thumb:

The late, great, Jim Hunter. :worship:

ktmboy

Subscriber
'9r, when I get old(er) like you I'll probably break down and get me one o' those fire-every-other-stroke machines, but right now I'm gonna enjoy my 2-smoke while I'm still young(er)! :p