How did you decide- 2stroke or 4stroke?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
As Rober DeNiro once said as he was invading a beach head in Vietnam:

"I love the smell of castor oil in the morning........."

1- The 2 strokers were all cheaper than the 4s that I looked at.

2- I wanted a big bore but not one that needed an electric leg to start. Call this reason 'simplicity of design' I guess.

3- And then there's that BIG HIT of a 2 stroke powerband that makes dirtbiking fun, IMO. I've always been the kinda person that likes far more powerful toys than I need.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
The maintenance. Sure a 4 stroke can take a bit more abuse, but working on them is an undertaking.

2 strokes are just plain easy to maintain yourself.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by gwcrim
As Rober DeNiro once said as he was invading a beach head in Vietnam:

"I love the smell of castor oil in the morning........."
Footnote: It was the equally talented Robert Duvall, not DeNiro, who said that (Apocalypse Now)...

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Eh... Duvall.... DeNiro....

I'm a big picture guy. Can't let the details get in the way of a good story now can I? :confused:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I tell you what though, that Emilio Estevez sure has some acting range - going from Apocalypse Now to Mighty Ducks!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
For years I had a 2s for racing around and a 4s for trail riding and riding with the family, one day I rode a buddies 426 and said this is the one do all bike for me, well I lied cause a week later I had the most perfect do-all bike in my garage.....a KTM 520 mxc, gear it down for tracks and trails, it's a blast, gear it up for Desert racing and hold on and now it's being Dualsported., it will do all very good

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Started out riding 4's 'cause they're easy to learn on. Rode a buddies 250 2-stroke and found out I was faster on his bike than I was on my 500 4, so I compromised and went out and got the 360 2-smoke. More power, less weight, a nice exhaust note, and yes, that magic mid-range 'hit'.

<DarreN123>

Jul 21, 2003
Originally posted by Dogman5
My bet is the 2-stroke ^

Just gotta love that "ying, ying!"

at first when i actually looked into buying a bike...i didnt like the pinger sound....i thought the mx 4 strokes were way better....but now that i have a 2 stroke i love the sound, and the 2 strokes are a much more simple design....and they dont have the massive exhaust like 4 strokes do

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
"The sweetest sound in the world is the sound of a thousand two strokes, all seizing at once." :thumb:

The late, great, Jim Hunter. :worship:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
'9r, when I get old(er) like you I'll probably break down and get me one o' those fire-every-other-stroke machines, but right now I'm gonna enjoy my 2-smoke while I'm still young(er)! :p

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
'9r, when I get old(er) like you I'll probably break down and get me one o' those fire-breathing, fantastic, state -of-the-art, fourstroke machines, but right now I'm gonna enjoy my 2-smoke while I'm still young(er)! :p

[/QUOTE]{i}Originally posted by Chief [/i]

I'm goin' on 40, outta shape, and STILL haven't comprimised!!!!!! :flame:

:eek: Damn kids!!! :scream: :laugh:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Wow, I feel like a real celebrity now: my quote has been twisted and distorted beyond its original meaning and intent! :confused:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Seriously though I only meant it in good fun. If and when I'm ever in the position to get another bike there are several 4 stokes I would consider.

I've owned both but don't have much experience on the new breed of 4 stroke Mx'ers. I do know the CRF 450 has downright kicked my butt on wide open dirt roads. It was just plain faster, a lot faster than mine in that application. I wonder what it feels like on the track or woods. They seem to be doing just fine in races also.

When I bought my bike I had owned several 4's after having a CR125 and really needed my 2 stroke fix. I'm still happy with my choice. I guess when all is said and done all that matters is that a rider is happy with their bike, 2 or 4 stroke.

Chief

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
Why 'ding' when you can THUMP!

I really enjoy the 'hit' of two strokes too. When my buddies on their 2-stokes are stalled mid-hill (operator error) I can 'thump-thump-thump' on by. I'll take the 'power everywhere' 4-stroke over the saving it all for a narrow high rpm range 2-stoke. The other guys DO wheelie more impressively, though, so if stunts are your forte, go 2-stroke.

Seriously, though, racing 2-strokes give you a neat 'ohmigod!' hit mid to high rpm. Racing thumpers (4-strokes) give a nice wide powerband that suits my riding style, and riding conditions (mountainous wilderness). My thrill comes from riding fast in extremely challenging terrain, so 4-stroke characteristics suit me better.

Different strokes... (sorry about that)

scottbob99

Feb 10, 2003
My 2000 YZ 250 is my first dirt bike, I ride mostly in the woods and was told four strokes are hard to start, especially after dropping. I have gotten used to the two stroke "hit", I enjoy the lightweight and I dopped it more than once and it doesn't even stall!!! I have considered switching to a four stroke, but I would have to ride a few different ones to see if I would miss my YZ. Remember "real men do it on 2 strokes" oh no wait a minute, that's not what I meant.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
2-Smokes just sound better!

By the way it was Duvall, but he actually said "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!" Makes sense 'cause that's what the jets were dropping on the jungle.

Top Bottom