How Do I Assemble Front Rim

los2

Jun 16, 2004
I just ordered a front rim for my Yamaha TTR225P dirt bike. Can anyone tell me how to assemble this (how to put spokes on). Thank you. :ride: :yeehaw: :aj:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Los2, the website that 500_boy pointed you to is for bicycle wheel building but don't be alarmed by that. The principal is exactly the same and so are all the techniques. You will probably have a different spoke pattern but that's all. I also have two little bits of important advice for you. Watch where the spokes go through the rim. On a motorcycle rim, the rim has angled pockets for the spoke nipples to go in. These pockets point to the side of the hub that the spokes go to. Don't point them in the opposite direction. Also, your wheel might be "dished" this is usually achieved by using spokes of different lengths. I don't know if motorcycle wheels are dished or not. If they are, all the shorter spokes go on one side and all the longer spokes go on the other side.

TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH OF YOUR ORIGINAL WHEEL BEFORE YOU DISSASSEMBLE IT. You might need to go and look at the picture.

Don't be afraid, you can do it.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
hmmmm, I've never built a motorcycle wheelset, but I've done a fair share of Mtn Bikes.... I can tell you that it is much easier with the proper equipment, but the principal is very simple... you can do it without a truing stand, but it is more difficult... you probably can't do it right without spoke wrenches... and a good tensionometer is a good idea for someone new (you want the spokes to be under the same tension throughout)... but you can get by without it if you have a good sense of feel..

good luck..... I'm sure you can do it, if YOU think you can (use your swingarm as a truing stand... tape a guide to it on both sides, at right angles to the swingarm.... such as a pencil or screwdriver, to indicate center.... spin the wheel and move the guide in closer as the rim gets better and better untill it is centered and not oblonged... then set the tension.. while keeping an eye on the guides )

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…