How do I get the Darned Flywheel Off?

ThePearl

Sep 7, 2008
Got a new flywheel puller but I can't get that darned nut off in order to use the puller. How do you hold the flywheel in place so you can turn that nut off?

2002 KDX 200 by the way, if that matters.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That's what I'd do.. But I'd do that after looking in the service manual to make sure it doesn't say something to the effect that it's a reverse thread (left handed) fastener.

I'd hate to over torque the nut and possibly break off the end of the crank.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you absolutely must, you can take the spark plug out, and shove the end of a nylon rope down into the hole.. when the piston comes up, the rope will stop it.

Or you could just put it in gear, and have someone stand on the brake pedal.

Or just use an impact.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd avoid the rope method, I had one get jammed up in a port once that was a real mess. Impact gun would be my choice.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A buddy of mine removed the bottom electode from a sparkplug, then epoxied in a section of hard rubber tubing. It's just long enough to lock up the engine..

Not sure yet how it works, but it looks like it should do fine.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
With my vast knowledge of all things mechanicish and tooly,I can assure you that you must use the same hammer and blowtorch I used on my carb boot.My next choice would be an oil filter wrench.(If there are no gyroheaded groovebines available)

Top Bottom