How do I know? '96 KDX200

gearheadjlm

Jul 9, 2006
How do I know how if I am tuned correctly and putting out the power that I should? Because I don't think I am. This is my first dirtbike, however I have riden several different other bikes. And the bike is running great, but just doesn't seem to really get and **** like I would think a 200 would. I would say it's equal to a CRF230 that I have riden. A little quicker and has a better top speed because of the 6th gear. But the front end only likes to lift up in 1st gear and it needs to work for it in second. No chance for third.l I get a little bit of hesitation on the throttle, but I can't tell if that the fact it's a 2 stroke and I am used to a 4 stroke. When I turned the Air needle in it caused the hesitation to get worse. It's running best at 2 turns out on the air needle and on the second from bottom clip on the needle. The spark plug was a little bit kind of wet with oil when I took it out, so I cleaned it up (have not tried replacing it yet). I am getting some smoke in the exhaust. I cleaned and oiled the air filter and repacked the stock silencer. I checked the power valve and everything seems to be moving freely. If I could guess the bike seems to run out of top end, and hesitate at low end. It's got a Dyno Port Pipe on it. The main jet appeared to be a 152 when I looked (however the last number was hard to read, so it could be the original 155). I want to aks you guys if you think I should try to get leaner or richer jets. My bottom end ran better when I leaned it out, is it possible that I am rich on bottom and lean on top and should get a smaller pilot and bigger main? What does it sound like to you guys? I run 32:1 and tried 50:1 without any noticable difference (still a little smoke in the exhaust) and I am about 200lbs, is this just how the bike performs or do I need jetting? Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the long post.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
First your needle clip, the higher you go on the needle the more air so try bringing the clip 2nd down from the top and set your air screw back to 1 1/2 turns (adjust if needed.). As far as I know 158 is the stock main so you are already leaner on that. Your pilot sounds like it's a little rich but that also could be your clip being too low on your needle (try the clip first). Your reeds might be shot if you are getting lame throttle response, my KDX really woke up after installing a V-Force (Rad Valve would also work and both are about $120). As far as wheelies it sounds like your gearing will need to be changed but this will take away from your top end depending on which way you go (more teeth or less teeth.). If you want more torque try adding a couple teeth on the rear sprocket, if you want less (more top speed) go with less teeth on the rear. I believe stock gearing is 13 teeth on the front and 47 on the rear. In Jersey it's really tight rocky trails so I went with 13F/50R which was a huge improvement and allowed 1st, 2nd and 3rd to become more usable gears. These are just some suggestions take it for what it's worth. Have fun with it!
Oh yeah and after you get your motor working correctly it will be just in time to figure out the front end sucks so start saving for either a KX fork conversion or for us poorer cats heavier fork springs and a rebuild.

gearheadjlm

Jul 9, 2006
Well I am the needle and air screw were they are working best (I've been messing with them for a while). I raised the needle on clip position from the center. (Second clip position from the bottom). I am going to try to a richer main jet and see what that does. At the same time, I'll grab some new reeds, I think that they'll probably help a lot. As far as gearing is concerned I am going to leave it alone, I think if I can get this motor as peppy as it should be it'll be perfect for me. The bike runs great, ALWAYS starts first kick, I love it, I just gotta get these jets down. Thanks for the reply.

gearheadjlm

Jul 9, 2006
Another question I got is about surfacing the cylinder head. I was wondering if there is any reason why I couldn't have the head surface for a little higher compression, I've done this before on an old RT180 and it worked great, I didn't want to tear nothing a part before I got some opinions. If it can be surfaced, how much should I go? Also this wouldn't be an extreme amount, I wouldn't want to change anything to much to worry about pinging or anything like that, I would just like to do this for a little extra power, that will save me some money since I could just have a friend mill it for me for free.

Thanks

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
With a 155 main and needle in second from bottom , the bike should be very nippy at your altitude . If you have standard gearing 13 47 it should easily wheelie in 1st 2nd and 3rd .
I wouldnt mess with the compression by skimming the head as it changes the squish and you may get pinging etc .
When last did the bike have the top end done ?
If not in the last 2 years then do the top end .
If it has been done recently then check the compression .
Dont change your oil ratio , leave it at 32 : 1 .
Check if you are running a 48 pilot jet and if so change to a 45 .

gearheadjlm

Jul 9, 2006
Great, I am going to check to see what my gearing is, I believe the top end was rebuild within the last 3 years and has very little ride time on it, I know the previous onwer ran only golden spectrum threr it, and did not ride it very hard (the few times he rode it). I will check the compression, what should it be at, and also is there a particular way to check the compression on a 2 stroke? I'm am positive that it has decent compression. I think the reeds will be my first thing to replace. Then try a few different jets. I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks for the replies!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…