How Do I Raise the Forks on my KDX?

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Well, I put it up on the bike stand, loosened the 4 nuts on each fork, and the forks slid downward. I tried to raise them upward toward the bars, but the best I could do was to get them to the same place they were before I started---they would not go up any higher at all. This is a new bike, so nothing is rusted in place----any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Give 'em a twist while you push them up. Are the tubes hitting the bars?

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I'll try giving a twist. They are at least one inch away from hitting the bars, just as it came new from the dealership. They go down very easily, it just seems strange that I am having this much trouble getting them to go up.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I tried the twisting---they rotated easily, but I was unable to get any vertical movement. Is this easier to do when on the stand or off the stand?

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Try using a flat edge screw driver to wedge open the triple clamps a little.
Make sure the bolts are backed off far enough for this to be effective.
You might even want to take the bike off the stand to apply more force to help move the forks up in the clamps.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
How high above the clamp are you raising the tubes?

I smell headshake.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Will handle being raised about 1/2" without any problems. Had mine that way for a long time. Does make the need for good fork springs readily apparent.

m304051

Jul 19, 2003
Make sure that that fork boots are loosened and not stuck to the fork leg. If they're still tightened down, the forks would be impossible to move up.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
The boots----that was the problem. Soon as I loosened the boot bolts, the forks went up easy as could be. Which made me feel really stupid for not thinking about that before! Thanks everyone for your help.

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
After a few crashes, it is sometimes difficult to move the forks up or down. When this happen you just have to loose the top tripple clamp nuts and the forks will move easily.

Pat

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
You know, it is interesting that everyone else had useful information to offer to someone who was new to the sport. You, in contrast, offered only derision. Might want to keep a watch on that habit, as what you give out usually returns to bite you. And when it does, I will try my best not to laugh.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
dude u should have read the forums more but email me and i will be plenty glad enough to get u going. sorry i just thought the boot clamp thing was funny. my e is in my profile. i apologize.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Instaurare,

I think 89KDX200rdr was just joking with you. He is one of the "usual suspects" around here and always ready to help others.

I'm glad you got it all straightened out.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Apology accepted. I guess it was kinda funny. Sorry for taking offense. I just hope the next project, putting on the flywheel, goes on with less confusion. I am trying to make this KDX into more of a woods/trials bike by lowering it and making the engine response more tractor-like. So far, the modifications seem to be making a noticible difference.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
Well, I could have said "the bolts which secure the clamps which hold the boots in place". How would you have worded it?

lower fork clamp bolts?

Top Bottom