how do i tension the spring on kick shaft, kx 250 1998?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
There should be a pin or some such device that the spring hits when you turn the starter gear..if you have the spring on the wrong side of that pin, it won't work properly.

Apr 24, 2007
correct me if i'm wrong but are refering to t he dogs on the backside of the stater gear.? On the frontside of the starter gear and shaft there is a hole for the inside of the spring, down below there is a hole to receive the pin of the outside of the spring.

To me it seems like they line up, but i can sense there is no tension, if you can help thank you.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
i just did this 2 weeks ago on the same bike. im sure there is an easier way but i did it the hard way. grab the end of the spring (with a pair of pliers, wrap it around clockwise and THEN push it over the shaft in place and locate the end into the hole underneath in about the 6 o'clock position.
i took some pictures while it was tore down... dont know if i can post them here or not.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
i had to take it back apart for the same reason. you have to put a good bit of tension on it before it goes back together. i wrapped it around before i put it all the way in to clear the clutch basket.

Apr 24, 2007
actually there is an easier way,

1 locate pin on starter shaft(behind starter gear)
2 place spring on shaft (hole on shaft 12 oclock)
3 install bushing and washer
4 with needle nose pliers start the free sping pin towards clutch basket
5 rotate clutch basket counter clockwise and pass spring tip towards pin receiver

Hope this helps, actually i thought about it the whole day at work following my first post.

Lesson learned, don't let others ride your machine. But fix it now.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
actually thats exactly the way i did it other than rotating the clutch basket. apparently i couldnt communicate that yesterday.. lol
but im glad you got it working...

Top Bottom