How do I tone down my 06 YZ 250 to make it rideable?

May 27, 2006
I have been out of dirt bike riding for about 10 years I decided to jump back in by buying an 06 YZ250. I need to tone it down and make it rideable for now. I have been told to use a weighted fly wheel, change the reeds, power valve etc. I bought a half twist throttle to start with, any other suggestions? I don't want it to be toned down permanently just enough to get my butt back on it without it flying out from under me every time I get on it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
just ease your way into it instead of going balls out right off the bat if you dont feel safe. A flywheel weight will help with the power delivery, prob make it a little easier for you to control. never messed with a half throttle thing but i would see it being pointless considering you can still hit the powerband etc. Just take your time and you should be fine.

And what exactly is giving you trouble? Holding on, power displacement, etc?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The flywheel weight helps a bunch. I bought an 8 oz gytr weight. You might want to think about a 11-13 oz.

The pro circuit pipe makes the bottom end softer. The V force reed does as well. Both offer a touch more top end, but the low end is easier to use.

Most of all, give yourself some time to get familiar with the bike. In time, you'll LOVE the low end hit.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
littlejoekfx400 said:
I have been out of dirt bike riding for about 10 years I decided to jump back in by buying an 06 YZ250. I need to tone it down and make it rideable for now. I have been told to use a weighted fly wheel, change the reeds, power valve etc. I bought a half twist throttle to start with, any other suggestions? I don't want it to be toned down permanently just enough to get my butt back on it without it flying out from under me every time I get on it.

I had been out for about 12 years; just go put in some practice away from any competition. It took about 4-5 rides to get back into the swing of things on my '06 YZ-250; then its like you never stopped.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I put a 10oz flywheel weight and I also lengthen the gearing, 3 teeth bigger on the back sproket. These are the things I did with my 2006 KX250 for technical trail riding, it really worked well.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
So far I'm in the same boat as you my dad had to get a bike after a long time 18 yrs and the bike stock just has to much snap. So far I got the Vforce V3 and the GYT-R flywheel installed those are improvements in the right direction. It's more controllable now but it's still alittle to snappy for him so i'm gonna put on a 48 rear to make it smoother. Untill he can finally get comfortable ridding it in the upper gears at speed the less moto in setup it is, just makes it that much better for him. It didn't help any that it ejected him after the 2nd ride off the back and he broke his middle finger.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Just wanted to pipe in and say I love the 06 YZ250. Personally, I would take a look at what kind of rider you were 10 years ago before I would have bought the YZ. If you were in the mix of things, then like slick_96_250 said just take it easy for a bit, put the 13 oz flywheel on and the trick ergo throttle if you like. If you were a spode 10 years ago, this bike wasn't your best choice. But can still be softened, albeit never tamed. ;)

NCyz250racer

Dec 28, 2004
My biggest problem when I first got my 04 YZ 250 was that I was riding too slow and too low in the powerband. So when the bike came on it would stand up or start sliding out. I found that if I ride at a lil higher rpm (lower gear) the bike won't snap as hard and you can control it a lil better. Sorry if that makes no sense at all but it helped me basically you either want to be in the powerband or below it the transition between the two is what get you in trouble

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
DLHamblin said:
I had been out for about 12 years; just go put in some practice away from any competition. It took about 4-5 rides to get back into the swing of things on my '06 YZ-250; then its like you never stopped.

+1 here... Was out for over 8 years and bought my '02 YZ250 a little over two months ago. 1st time I got on it, it flew out from under me because I forgot how touchy the throttle was. After that, decided I'd better take it really slow until I got used to being on a bike again. Now I'm flying all over just like I came right off my old 125 from when i was in H.S.

Just take it easy until you get the hang of it again. Just like riding a bike, once you get back on it and ride it, it all comes back pretty fast. :nod:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Those throttle cams are cool. :cool:

Retarding the timing will probably accomplish what you want. You can experiment with how much, but it doesn't take a lot.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
My bikes run a whole lot softer when they are jetted rich. Maybe raise the needle a clip and turn the air screw in. Should only take a few minutes and is 100% free.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
make sure your jetting is where it belongs.
You want the transition from low speed to mid/high to be smooth. If your running fatter on the bottom and then cleans out mid range, it will seem like it is hitting harder......
now then, Ive got these red, green and blue Power Bands I found at K-Mart on sale............... ;)

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
I used a combination of:
MSR flywheel weight 13oz
&
G2 Throttle cam
The change was huge and made the bike enjoyable....
Next day, I traded it fr thumper though....

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Zoomer said:
make sure your jetting is where it belongs.
You want the transition from low speed to mid/high to be smooth. If your running fatter on the bottom and then cleans out mid range, it will seem like it is hitting harder......
now then, Ive got these red, green and blue Power Bands I found at K-Mart on sale............... ;)
If running a slightly rich needle/airscrew somehow creates this stronger mid-top end hit (which I am 99% sure it won't) then one can always spend an extra minute putting in a larger mainjet. If this were the case though, then why do we have so many threads about people leaning their pilots and needles looking for "hit?" Makes no sense.

I guarantee jetting on the rich side will kill the power far more effectively than flywheel weights and two/three teeth on the sprocket...I have tried them all. Its easy enough...if you doubt it, try it. Just be aware that once your carb gets off the needle...it make get away from you all of a sudden :coocoo:

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
James said:
If running a slightly rich needle/airscrew somehow creates this stronger mid-top end hit (which I am 99% sure it won't) then one can always spend an extra minute putting in a larger mainjet. If this were the case though, then why do we have so many threads about people leaning their pilots and needles looking for "hit?" Makes no sense.

I guarantee jetting on the rich side will kill the power far more effectively than flywheel weights and two/three teeth on the sprocket...I have tried them all. Its easy enough...if you doubt it, try it. Just be aware that once your carb gets off the needle...it make get away from you all of a sudden :coocoo:

FYi...
The Rm's and Yz's have the least amount of flywheel weight...
For the woods I suggest between 9 & 13 ounces...
I ran a G2 400 cam...
What this did was::: When I wound land from jumps or blast through the woops, the throttle would not just snap open... Made everything enjoyable and controlled...
I would not mess with gearing, adding teeth to the rear will just add snap....
If all else fails, ride a gear taller...

Being rich on the bottom will certain increase the mid-hit... The bike is under enough load to "clear" out...
This is why jetting is so key and the JD kit works so well..
Fat bottom's are not for everyone... ;)

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
You can also throw a counter sprocket on the front that is one tooth larger. Every gear will be much taller, and maybe not perfect for a given trail, but after 3-4 rides you will want to put the smaller counter sprocket on and will be used to the hit/power delivery.

The flywheel weight is a good idea as well.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
jackdrinker said:
FYi...

Being rich on the bottom will certain increase the mid-hit... The bike is under enough load to "clear" out...
This is why jetting is so key and the JD kit works so well..
Fat bottom's are not for everyone... ;)

Considering I am talking about the airscrew and needle, look at this diagram and tell me how the result would be rich on the "bottom" only.

effects3.gif
Looks to me like it would be richer across 80%+ of the throttle range. How are you going to increase "mid-hit" or the "low-mid" transition when you are rich well beyond it? Put another way, if the main were the correct size, this "cleaning out" won't occur until 80% plus throttle. Coincidently, how often is a person trying to tame a YZ250 going to be running back and forth over the 80% throttle position? Lastly, if I am talking about being slightly or somewhat rich (as in not 100% crisp), how dramatic is this "cleaning out" at 80% throttle going to be? Worse than exiting a turn or blipping over a jump with a spot on super reponsive pilot/needle? I doubt it.

Anyway, I am not going to get bogged down in senseless debate. It's easy enough to try. If it doesn't work, then by all means drop $600 into flywheel weights, pipes, and sprockets...no money out of my wallet and I don't mind being wrong. I know the flywheel weights help tame SLIGHTLY, pipes I doubt much if at all, and if you think about sprockets a little bit, hardly whatsoever.

Although, that cammed throttle does look like a neat idea.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
+1 on the jetting and a tooth bigger up front. For mx, dont forget to grip the bike with your legs!, you can then relax the death grip with the arms and lessen the occurances of "wiskey throttle" while still maintaining a good centered riding position. I still have to remind myself to do that when arms get tired and riding gets sloppy in a moto. The 06 yz is an excellent bike, with a great motor, the flywheel weights will make a big difference as well, but depending on how soon you progress it may not be worth the price if its just going to come back off again. I cant speak for the throttle cam, it seems a little odd to me, I rely on the bike hitting in the same spot every time, still I would like to demo a set of those suckers. Just put in some hours and ride safe itll come back sooner than you think and youll love the bike! :cool:

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Now I'm flying all over just like I came right off my old 125 from when i was in H.S.

Also remind yourself on occasion that we likely don't "bounce" as well as we did in our '20s though( And that I need to be able to go to work on Mondays:think: )

Top Bottom