How do I torque KX100 sprocket bolts?

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
My son has a KX100 and I got some new wheels for it. The sprockets bolts are not what I expected.

The normal bike wheel (eg, KX250) uses a bolt through the sprocket - and then through the hub - and then into a washer and nut.

The KX85 and KX100 use a double-threaded bolt. Think of a bolt with threads on one half, then a smooth portion (1/4") in the middle, and then more threads on the other end.

Half of this bolt threads into the hub. Then the sprocket is placed onto the bolts and a nut is threaded on from the front of the sprocket.

I'm unsure that I know how to get the proper torque on the bolt when I thread it into the hub. There's really nothing to grab onto to get any kind of torque.

Should I thread the bolts into the hub by hand as far as possible - then put on the sprocket and start tightening the nuts. When I torque the nut to the right spec will that automatically set the bolt into the hub properly?

The service manual is no help. I plan to use red loctite on the hub side of the bolt and blue on the nut side.

Thanks! Mark

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
That is the same setup that is used on GM trucks on the fans on the water pump. All you have to do is thread the first portion into the hub all the way, if there is corrosion and it is hard to thread I'll use a piece of leather and vice-grips, (I fold the leather around the bolt and then clamp-on) so I dont mess up the threads on the second portion of bolt. When you assemble everything, the nut will create the torque (holding friction) on the first set of threads that went into the hub. It's the same principle as using 2-nuts on one bolt (if you tighten the nuts together you cant turn them on the bolt. Hope this helps! Also I wouldnt use any loc-tite. Once that nut is tight everything will stay put. Remember.... You may have to do this again and you dont want to be fighting with old Loc-tite.

P.S. If im way off just forget I said anything. :uh:

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
sounds to me asif the bolt screws in tight into the sprocket than the sprocket and bolt simply hold up against the hub than u put the nut on and torque this from the inside of the sprocket it sounds about right the double thread is to aid in locking the nut when the wheel is in motion its the same thing as using a slit pin on the wheel axle while u ride the bike the nuts can vibrate off with the double thread it kind of fights each other so it dont go any where they need to make more like this on bikes

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom