NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
When y'all change your piston rings do you:

1) remove the cylinder head, then the cylinder?

2) leave the head on and remove just the cylinder?

3) some other way?

I've always done (1), but someone mentioned on another thread about "rings + base gasket = done" and that made me wonder if they were leaving the head on.

Also, is everyone removing the radiators, or doing the top end with them in place?

I'm a good mechanic, but it takes me 3 hrs for a top end and I get the feeling that some of you are doing them in a lot less time- how???

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
NM_KDX200 said:
I'm a good mechanic, but it takes me 3 hrs for a top end and I get the feeling that some of you are doing them in a lot less time- how???

they're probably not.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I'm not a shabby mechanic myself, I'm no near good, but I can get things fixed and do a decent job at it.

I've torn my top end apart once just to inspect, and it took me a good 3 hours I'd guess to get it done, I'm assuming it took a little longer since it was my first time.

A good chunk of that time was spent coaxing the cylinder off.

To be honest, with my bike at least, I don't see why there would be any problem with leaving the head on when changing the rings.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
If there is clearance, leave the head on and remove just the cylinder. Why remove the head if you don't need to has always been my thought. As for removing the radiators, it depends on the bike. Some bikes you have to remove one or both, some don't.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, next time I do the KX I'll see if I can do it the minimalist way instead of by the book.

On the KDX, you have to pull the head to clean the powervalves, so it's a moot point there.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Some bikes let you leave the head on. Its nice if you can. It saves gasket money!

The easiest bike I have ever worked on was a 2003 KX 125. Giant perimeter frame, no clearance issues, and a case reed motor. You done have to move the carb on these.

The hardest??? A Lem 50. Small parts. The engine has to be remocved from the frame to remove the head nd cylinder.

Top Bottom