how do you clean stained # plates?????

kawakid

Dec 18, 2003
I just got a new 04 yzf250, and its great, but after every ride the side panels, and number plates, or just any white plastic get dirtier and dirtier, even after washing it. I have tried soaps, and water, with hard scrubbing but it still wont come out. Is there any cheap cleaner or way to get them looking new again???????/ thanks

mountainman

Mar 5, 2004
try oxy clean works on red clay so it should work on anything hey at what mileage did your valves need adjustment? mountainman wr450

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It's going to be a recurring problem, but you can get them super bright again using Soft Scrub and elbow grease.

Soft Scrub is kind of a gritty paste, with bleach in it. Use rubber gloves. Lay your plastic flat, apply Soft Scrub, and scrub the paste all over the plastic with a dense sponge. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Scrub again, then rinse. Sparkling white after that.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Buffing/polishing compound (auto) works very well. I get the white paste looking stuff and use it on all of the plastic. Won't give that shiny new plastic look, but cleans real well and softens the scratches. I sometimes follow with armor all or similar if the bike is going to sit for a while.

kawakid

Dec 18, 2003
i checked the valve clearance after the first week of riding hard, but they didn't need adjusting

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've used WD-40 in a pinch...doesn't make the plastic shiney, but tends to "lift" the dirt out.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Soft Scrub or even regular kitchen cleanser applied to a sponge works well.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
simple green and a toothbrush.

ben.handasyde

Jan 28, 2004
use engine degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes then srub of with a brush paying close attention to the scratches. then cover with clear protective sheets or preprinted numbers. when it comes time to sell take them off it you want and bang they look good as new.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It works fantastic!. It will take a little shine away but much less than all the other methods shown above. All you do is add water to what looks like a chalk board eraser and rub a little, give it a try.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Try car wax, especially 1 billed as a cleaner / wax. I disagree with the use of any abrasives - the small scratches left behind will trap additional dirt on subsequent rides.

For the pinger crowd, cleaner / wax is deadly on rear fender spooge. Takes it right off, even when it appears that the spooge has saturated into the plastic.

01KX250Rider

Mar 29, 2004
White Side plastics

After getting the number plates clean or replaced i always buy that clear plastic to go over the plate and under the number itself...when the clear plastic turns too dirty or fades just peel it off and look at your "new" white plastic again ! :cool:

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
what about black scuffs? I have black boot and tend to lift my feet off in the air and somehow always get big linear scuffs on my plates that are hard to remove

b dawg 311

May 27, 2004
Comet with a bit of water on the white and only WHITE plastics and some steel wool works absolute wonders on white plastic, and white plastic only. May require some elbow work but other then that thats all.

Brandon

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…