slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
are you referring to stoppies?

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Good brakes, good front tire, weight really far forward. Hit FRONT brakes hard. Go over handle bars. Brake collar bone. Go to hosipital. Where did you hear the word "nose manual"

------------------
1997 Kx 125
1997 GSX-R 750
Pullin a wheely between a rock and a hard place.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Manual is a bicycling/skateboard term. ;)

------------------
Mion
OCCRA #19

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Weight the back end by bouncing once on the pegs and grab the brake with stiff arms when the back end extends. Instant stoppie. Use more speed and modulate the brake to ride it.

------------------
TexKDX

[This message has been edited by TexKDX (edited 04-20-2001).]

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Well than what the hell are they called > front manuals???.You guys get the idea, dont you?.how do you do them.?

------------------
1996 CR 250

[This message has been edited by cr125_king (edited 04-19-2001).]

roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
they are called nose wheelies or stoppies.
I've never even seen a bmx or skateboard nose wheelie called a nose manual.

------------------
YEEEAAAAHHHH TESTOSTERONE !!!

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by roosterboy:
they are called nose wheelies or stoppies.
I've never even seen a bmx or skateboard nose wheelie called a nose manual.

Never heard of a nose manual in BMX/Skateboard terms? I guess you didn't skate or ride BMX. Hell, I do nose manuals on my snowboard.....

------------------
'91 RM 250

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by cr125_king:
Well than what the hell are they called > front manuals???.You guys get the idea, dont you?.how do you do them.?

I just told you - what's the problem?

------------------
TexKDX

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
Sit as far forward as you can and sqeeze the tank with your knees, this will keep you from slipping down the bike if you go to close to vertical.

Grab the front brake and once you feel confident give it a quick tug, at the same time push forward on the handle bars a little bit.

The faster you go and the longer you hold the brake the higher you will go. Just start small and work your way up.

Check out this pic of me on my street bike. I know street bikes have a little better bite but the technique is still the same.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jargyros/isumc/pictures/kevinstoppie.jpg

------------------
Kevin
97 CR 250, 96 CBR 600
You Bleed Red so you might as well Ride Red

XRstroker

Feb 26, 2001
dude, kevin your nuts! doing that stoppie with no helmet or stuff.......heh, im glad my kahonee's aren't that big.....i might end up hurting myself more then i do already

------------------
Honda 1995 XR200R

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Yeah his big "kahonees" must be taking energy away from his brain. Riding without a helmet (espcially a street bike) is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.
BTW, a manual is a snowboard term. It's the equalivent of a wheelie on a bike.

------------------
         Jake
      '75 XR-75
 Yeah, I can hit that jump. But oh look at the ant crawling on it!
You wouldn't want me to kill it would you!? 
Roostmaker's and Yogurts photos

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Let's see, Woody, your butt is back and your knees are sticking out. Funny, the pic does not show the technique you describe in your post.

Since I was tought by a professional exibitioner, I guess I'll take his tips over yours. Oh, and, he recommends a full face helmet when practicing stoppies and nose wheelies.

------------------
TexKDX

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Nice woody51 :) .But wheres the helmet???. thats not a good example for others kids out there.A kid in my school rides street bikes(like a *****>I can wheelie further than him on my BMX and Dirtbike.).Anyways he "tried" a nose stoppie in front of my house and biffed hard, I laughed at him, because he sucks so bad.

------------------
1996 CR 250

[This message has been edited by cr125_king (edited 04-20-2001).]

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
awww... lay off kevin guys!!! he's just havin a little fun. Im down with that one kevin, you out did denny stephenson on that one. you are one crazy M.-F.er but i would ride with you any day. tex kdx, why do you gotta be an ass to everyone? i have seen you do that in other forums to! lay off, all we are riding for is fun. and if that is not true for you, than i would suggest stopping.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

adamwn

Apr 13, 2001
125king.... i haven't heard the term biffed since i was in grade school, what age are you? it is a funny term though, made me laugh.

------------------
Adam from SoCal
01 XR650R
01 400EX
00 RM-250
01 Recon

Mar 14, 2001
You should really try these on something like a mountain bike or BMX with a front brake first. It is much easier to learn this way because you have to worry about a 220 pound bike pounding you into the ground. Once you've mastered them on bike it's extremely easy to do. I've been able to do them since I was about 9 or 10 on MTBs and when I hopped on a 125 a few years later they were almost too easy. About the positioning, I really don't think it matters if you're towards the back or front of bike it's just personal preference. I prefer the front since I have don't have to to stretch out less and it helps the front tire from locking up and skidding when you first start your nose wheelie. If you think your going to have a nice trip over the bars next fall you should take your feet off the pegs and bring them next to your hands over the bars as if your going to do a heelclicker, let go of the bike, and try to get out of the way as fast as you can. I haven't fallen in a long time while using this technique but I've never had to use it on a dirtbike.

------------------
Tuck and roll!

1998 YZ-125
1993 RM-125

Addiction Riding

[This message has been edited by Frequent Flyer (edited 04-21-2001).]

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by Roostmaker:
BTW, a manual is a snowboard term. It's the equalivent of a wheelie on a bike.

If you change "snowboard" to "skateboard" in your statement you'd be correct :)

------------------
'91 RM 250

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
I practice these on my mtn bike, but it is pretty hard when you dont have v-brakes.My mtn bike has cantelever brakes(old style that dont work worth s***, And my bmx dont have front brakes .

------------------
1996 CR 250

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by Hucker:

If you change "snowboard" to "skateboard" in your statement you'd be correct :)

All of the snowboarders call it a "manual" when they do a wheelie type trick on a snowboard.I guess it's all a matter of where you from.

------------------
         Jake
      '75 XR-75
 Yeah, I can hit that jump. But oh look at the ant crawling on it!
You wouldn't want me to kill it would you!? 
Roostmaker's and Yogurts photos

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Back to the subject, I sit far forward, a gradually grab the brake so that it soes not lock up. Once up, I modulate to attept to ride it(never have). On my mountain bike, I can sometimes ride for a couple feet on the front w/o the brake. Also, BE CAREFUL!! I badly broke my collarbone and seperated my shoulder while doing this and rolling onto a sewer grate. Immeadeatly stopped me at high speeds and over I went, really hard!(on a mtn bike).

------------------
Aaron's web site

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
back when i was 12 i would get a good running start on my old 1 gear pedal bike, and then just nail the front break and fly over the handle bars, roll roll roll wheeee again agian!

ps: offroad only =)

------------------
1995 KX 125
16 years old
email me at tyrant_187187@yahoo.com

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
Well, everyone, especially Tex, I know that I should have had a helmet on and that it is not a good idea to ride without one, I normally do. I also wanted to note that even though my picture does not show the technique that I described, I normally try to follow the procedure that I listed above. It seems to work for me.

The stoppie that is pictured happened to come up on me rather quickly and as a result I was thrown forward and a little off of my seat. I don't think I need to get into the physics of this, one of Newton's laws, but if I need to let me I'll be more than happy too.

So let me re-cap. I was just trying to help out cr125 and I didn't want to start a debate about helmets. So I hope I don't cause anymore hard feelings and that someone can benefit from the instructions listed above. They are what I learned on my own and what I have gathered from others so take them for what you will. Also if you are going to do this stuff, wear the right gear. I know I wasn't, but then again sometime I am just a little crazy ( or stupid, depending on how you look at it). Thanks guys and have a good one, I really am an alright guy :)

------------------
Kevin
97 CR 250, 96 CBR 600
You Bleed Red so you might as well Ride Red

[This message has been edited by woody51 (edited 04-23-2001).]

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Do you really need too know how to do a Stoppie going around the track? Forget showing off, lets just race!

------------------
"You know your introuble when you see the landing ramp, before you land"
--TTR-250 MX--
My Photos

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
here is how i do it. I grab the front brake but not too hard and i progressively squeeze it, as the front forks compress i shift my weight forward and squeeze harder till the back wheel comes up. You must be going in a strait line. I praticed mine on this cement down hill (its a drain pipe thingy in the desert) and it was at about 45 degree angle. I just did it going like 2 mph till i got the hange of riding on the front wheel. Its sorta like praticing wheeling, you want to start off slow and down hill or flat ground if possible.
http://www.brentblain.com/motocross/picture3brent-1.htm

-Brent

------------------
00 CR250
My webpage
last updated 02-25-01

Top Bottom