How do you handle Chest Protector/Drink System/Backpack?

NWDirt

Oct 2, 2006
I have a fox airframe that i zip tyed a camelback bag to, and then I wear an Ogio fanny pack full of tools and stuff. I also have a number plate bag I haul tire tools in etc. I was thinking of going to an ogio backpack to hold more stuff, but was wondering how you guys handle the issue of wearing a chest protector with a backpack. Any opinions, or pictures for that matter, would be great. Are you just putting it over the chest protector? I ride in tight woods and have tried to tackle a large number of trees. the chest protector has saved me many time from this and being speared by unseen limbs.

as a mod example:

I took the front of my chest protector and connected it at the top of my backpack so the backpack replaced the back of my chest protector. Not really that good.

Comment welcome!

Dave

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I wear my water (camel back type) underneath my chest protecter. This keeps the water container from snagging on things. And the chest protector helps to hold the water in place, rather than the water moving the chest protector around in rough terrain.

I can carry all the tools, snacks, maps, etc... in a large MSR fanny pack.

I've ridden dual sport rides with a back pack before, and could not stand it. It really bothered me, but I know some guys who use them for trail riding.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depending on the ride I always wear my Camel Back or a large backpack over my Thor chest protector. I make sure the compression straps are tight (so crap doesn't bounce around in it), and tighten down the waist/sternum straps. It felt odd at first, now I feel weird without them because my chest protector isn't held as tight against me.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
I too have the Fox Airframe and that hinge in the back is a PITA! I normally ride with my CamelBack over the top and with it tightly tied around me compressing the chest protector against me. The backpack just happens to push that hinge right into my spine and the constant moving up and down of my spine against the hinge tears apart my back. I now have a good 6" long bruise/open lesion because of it, it's painful!

For instance, at the Spanish Peaks ISDE Qualifier I wore my CP under my backpack for day 1, on day 2 my back was throbbing painfully. I ended up stopping in the middle of the race and took off all my gear and replaced it all with my backpack underneath my chest protector. That worked much better. I'm thinking of buying a low profile Camelback and then a large fanny pack for the tools. Sitting in chairs hurts after rides, I'd rather avoid that from now on.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Camelbak under protector. Large Moose fanny pack. Front fender mounted innertube bag will hold a cheap 21" tube, irons, and co2 filler. I'll sometimes even squeeze a sandwich in the fanny pack, it's often smashed flat, but it's food.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
flyingfuzzball said:
i got this thing called a water bottle in my pack....

i never could get the hang of camel backs. i just find a safe place to stop and take a drink

Must not ride in the desert. :nener:

I used to take just a water bottle when riding in Michigan. Out here I need WAY too much water. Sunday's ride I polished off the 2 liter Camelback bladder and close to 2 liters of bottled water that I also packed, in a ride that was just over 4 hours.

NWDirt

Oct 2, 2006
bleakness, I totally understand. I wear the ogio fanny pack that is awesome for tools, camer (well built), until it rains or you get it covered with mud. The it is painful how heavy everything gets. I totally soaked it in silicon spray but it still gets heavy when we hit the mud.

Anyone who has a camelback over and attached to their chest protector back ends up having the front of the chest protector ride up under their chin. Some people zip tye the front to their belt to keep it down. Thats a PITA for removing. The ogio fanny pack will support the back of the chest protectors weight so it feels natural and doesnt ride up. With the fanny pack over your kidneybelt and snugged up, you feel even more protected. The camelback I bought was just a canvas cover over the bladder with D rings to attach it to my airframe. 100oz UNBottle.

I bought the ogio backpack and took out the 70oz water bladder and put in my 100oz cameback water bladder and it fits perfectly except I sweat all over under the backpack on my back when I ride in the summer.

These ballistic jerseys are not the answer IMHO, especially for a climate where you have to layer up for whatever comes your way. I rode in northern Baja for 3 days and one guy had one. We went from 50 deg F to 85 deg F and he was miserable. It was sweaty and chaffing or too cold.

BTW the first time that 16 oz water bottle falls out of your pack and your left with no water, you will really think your stupid for not having a 40 dollar camelback.

Anybody have a killer protection/drink/storage system they think really covers all bases? Do we need to start a company and sell a decent product?

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Here in california, i put my backback over my chest protector and fill it up with water and gatorade so I can stop periodically and rehydrate.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
A SixSixOne Pressure Suit under a jersey and a 100oz Camelbak, with a few tools inside, over the jersey. The Pressure Suit has a spine protector, which takes much of the risk out of having metal tools on your back in a get-off.

I wouldn't ride without either one.

Top Bottom