How do you know when you need new reeds?

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
How do you know when you need new reeds? I looked at mine(carbon type) and there are no apparent cracks or chips, but there are a few spots(looks kind of burned) on them.

I got this used bike(99 RM250) this summer and I'm still going thru various things trying to get it to run a little snappier. I just went thru the top end and was hoping that would pep it up some, but it only seemed to change it a little bit better. I leaned out the jetting(152main, 42slow, 2nd clip), but it still seems a little rich in the slow circiut. Stock is 158 main, 45slow and 3rd clip position, so I hate to lean it out more.....so I was wondering how much the reeds affect trying to get something jetted correctly?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Some reeds have a big influence in jetting. Usually you have to lean it out especially in the lower throttle opening circuits (pilot/needle).

Oh, sorry I kind of missed your point the first time I read it through.  If your reads are worn out it can cause your jetting to get wacky!

If they aren't chipped or cracked and they seal tight then they should be OK.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Reeds wear out over time. It’s not like one day they just don’t work, they degrade progressively.

Worn reeds can make a bike hard to start, tough to jet and lethargic to throttle input.

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
Well the reeds are not chipped or cracked that I can tell, but I just don't have enough experience to tell if they have enough tension or not.....but it does seem to still run rich after I've gone down a size or two in jets.

Does anyone have an idea on what the discolored or burn looking spots on them might be?

I hate to buy something I don't need, so I'm asking a few questions before I breakdown and go buy them. Thanks for your replies.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
Like he said, first u must verify that they are closing: take out your reed cage and with the reeds facing u, shine a falshlight in from the intake end; if you see space between the reed and its seat, then u will need new ones.
as a temporary fix u can unscrew them and turn them over, to make the warpage flatten out some...

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The proper tension would mean that they seal completely against the reed block.

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
txkawboy - that's funny, that's the only way I could figure out to sort of test the sealing the other day, was by a flashlight. Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't a total useless excersize!

I did see a little light, so I tried to turn them over and the tiny gap seemed to get a little worse.....so maybe they have been turned already?? BTW, I ordered some Boysen Power Reeds, so we'll see how that goes.

Top Bottom