wjp

Nov 15, 2001
Hi All,
I'm relatively new to MX and have been riding for about 10 months now. Something that I find a bit strange that I'm sure should not be right is on one of the jumps I do (about 20-30 foot) if I make the bike land on the front wheel just before the rear wheel the suspension seems to soak up the landing much better than if I land on the rear wheel first.
What you you guys do? always on the rear or does it depend on the kind of jump?

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
What you are doing is correct :) I rarely land rear wheel first, unless I make a mistake. It almost feels like I am landing with both tires at the same time, but the front does come down just a wee bit earlier. Landing with the rear first usually smacks the front down unless you get on the gas quickly. ?I prefer the front to come down just a split second before the rear. if you find your landings a bit harsh, get on the gas as soon as you land, it will take some of the harshness out of it..

Good Luck!! :)

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
Very interesting topic I have found wile racing that its best to land with your rear weel first with full throttle its called power landing. I use it on almost every jump mostly rythm sections. its gets you to the next obsticle quiker becaus when you land rear weel first you tire will automaticly gain traction and you will accelerate realy fast. you have to stay in an agressive position so you dont fall off the back.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I do the same as MX2_motorex...always on the gas! The only time I'll land front wheel first is if I scew up or sometime if the jump is a kicker with a steep landing. But moslty both wheels hit at or really close to the same time.

skyman

Jun 28, 2001
The correct way is nose down, front wheel right before rear, and on the gas hard to help soak up the landing and accelerate to the next obstacle. I land nose high if I am coming up short, but that is the only time. Landing on the rear wheel can cause the front end to SLAP and hurt your wrists.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I land on other riders, it really helps soak up some of the impact.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
I usually try to land more on my front tire but not necessarily flat. I try to land with my front end down so that when my back end lands it lands on the top of the landing as well. This makes for a very smooth and effortless landing.

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
It certainly depends on the jump. Take for instance.. a small kicker jump with no designated landing. You'll want to land rear first.. slightly. Stay on the gas as the wheel makes contact. This allows for quicker accelleration (obviously) and it also takes some of the "hit/slap" out of the landing.

Jumps with landings (tables, doubles/triples/, step-ups/step-down's, etc) it's usually best to land nose first.. slightly. Remember you're riding position when you're jumping: You should be centered over the bike with your head over the triples. Get on the gas and keep the elbows up. Work on being smooth.

Top Bottom