How do you make a KDX street legal?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Hey,
How do you make a 1996 KDX200 street legal or is it even possible in Illinois? What does a kit cost? In case it matters it has a Fatty pipe w/ a Turbine Core2 w/ removed air box lid.
Thanks for any info.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Theres a Baja kid out there or something, I think its like baja something copmany or something that makes the whole kit. You replace the front Number plate and light with theirs, which has blinkers, and a stronger light, and a horn and stuff. Then it comes wiht the rear blinkers ands tuff, then if you want, you can buy the computer.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
From my investigation a few months ago, no one made a kit for a KDX. I built my own to make mine street legal for dual sports and local riding. I'm not sure about the specifics of your state, but I made mine street legal and here's the drill:

1) Buy a horn off of ebay from an old bike that did not have a battery (small Hondas from the 60s-70s work great). Then install it with a horn button and a 9 volt battery and it works great. Note: A 12 volt MC or car horn will not work with a 9 volt battery-the battery is not strong enough) cost +/- $30 (use a MC kill switch for the button)

2) Add a separate brake light bulb & holder inside of your rear tail light lens. I put an on-off switch on mine to save battery time when I did not need it. I used 2 small 6v alkaline batteries (series wired for 12v) from Interstate Batteries to power the brake light. Cost +/- $ 10-50 depending on the switch (I bought a 2nd KDX light switch for mine)

3)Tag (that is a problem in a lot of states. If your title says"off road", you will probably have a hard time getting a tag for the bike.)

4) Blinkers/ In our state a bike that did not come from the manufacturer with blinkers is not required to have blinkers (hand signals will work). However, if the bike came with signal lights, they cannot be taken off. Your Highway Patrol office should be able to give you that info for your state.

I am very pleased with mine and it cost less than $75 + the tag and added less than 2 lbs of weight. Also, I am still on the original batteries.

Just one option-

JCW

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Here in Michigan, the Secretary of State offices have a "Green Sheet" that details the requirements. Once the bike has been inspected by a police officer you take the "Green Sheet" back to the Sec. of St. and they convert the title and issue you a plate. Haven't done it yet, but it is on my to do list. Good luck.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Thanks. So I don't need mirors on my KDX? I know its different in every state so I'll check out IDOT website.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The department of transportation/motor vehicles should be able to answer any of your questions. wherever you would go to register your vehicle should have all necessary paper work for a reconstructed/altered vehicle<if needed> and a basic ideas of the steps needed. ie State police/ or inspection mechanic saying it is ok for the street, 3 pictures to send off to DOT etc etc. A motorcycle inspection station<if applicable> or the state police should be able to tell you the recquirements of the vehicle to be street legal in your state.

Pennsylvania recquires

Vehicles manufactured after 1973 need turn signals and a rear running lamp,after 1978 charging/battery system so that headlights,brake lights and turn signal wont dim when engine is running and the tail light lit when engine not running.
all vehicles need a Hi/low beam headlight and a high beam indicator,brake lights and liscence plate light. All recquired lighting DOT approved. there is specifics about how much candlepower,mounting,and visibility that would be too much too type.
Horn, DOT tires, mirrors, spedometer, non resetable odometer on vehicles less than 25 years old. Exhaust systems not modified to make it louder and shielded so you can't burn yourself. Two stroke owners need to wrap their pipes to comply. There is rake and trail recquirements of not less then 20 degrees and 2 " positive<KTM owners beware when looking at those fancy triple clamps>. Plus the standard inspection of making sure the vehicle is in good operating condition,tires bald, brakes worn, forks leaking etc etc.

In Pennsylvania If you can get a State Trooper to inspect and sign off the Reconstructed/Altered vehicle title form saying it passes you have a better chance of it going thru DOT for a street legal title.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
I have a full D/S kit from www.bajadesigns.com on my KDX200. Fortunately the bike was street legal when I got it. The job of getting it done myself proved too much of a headache.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
JasonWho,

I took my title down to where I buy car tags and told them I wanted a tag for my motorcycle (in MS, it's called the Tax Accessor's office). They were confused about why I wanted to buy a tag several months after buying the bike. I told them it was a street legal dual sport bike, designed to be ridden on and off road (and so far I had only ridden it off road). I explained that I was going out of state to a few dual sport events and I needed a tag. They acted confused, penalized me with a late fee, but went ahead and sold me a tag. Give it a try and see what happens.

Good Luck-
JCW

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I don't know. I found a pic on the net and I don't care for the plate mount and mirrors. I can't post it because I'm not a subscriber. I wanted a street legal 2 stroke so bad(not a vintage bike) when I turned 16(or 18 for 150cc or bigger). Maybe Europe has a trail bike thats street legal. In Europe KDX's are street legal though. I 'magine I'll want a truck more when I get 16.

DeSeRt_KaW

Sep 29, 2003
First of all, We all know that the KDX is 2-Stroke...
Well, Here in Utah, 2strokes cannot be Street legal because of the fact that Oil is mixed with the gas... This may not make sense, but its the law.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
Colorado is easy. VIN inspection, some paperwork for a title. Need: one mirror, horn (bicycle bulb horn is fine), brake light, head light. Technically DOT tires but no one checks.
-John

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
ok here it goes
in most states cycles arent subjected to emissions
kits to make a bike legal would be BAJA DESIGNS and DAKAR
i would go for the DAKAR only because BAJA DESIGNS seem to a bit
on the rude side. at least when spoke to them last.
and there are just too many other places to buy my cycle accessories
plus i am now selling parts myself.

you can make your own kit but the ready made kits are usually a better way to go as they come with a real nice set of handle bar controls that look factory. also when the bike is not running it is supposed to be able to keep lights lit for i believe 15 minutes, dont quote me on that. and some kits give you a key so the bike wont start when your getting a bit to eat or what not.

i go the completely legal route only because i ride in NJ and they dont mess around. but then again most states are or can be pretty tough all depends on who stops you and what kind of mood the offical might be in.

DOT tires are in my opinion a better way to go if you ride harsh trails.
i know some who use a rear DOT knobbies when in the really rocky stuff and say it lasts much longer then a full blown off road tire. and i bet if show you some of my tires you couldnt tell me which is DOT and which is not. i get up to 3000 miles out of a rear tire.

if ya would like to get what ya need email me and i can get you all the things you need at prices that i dont think others can match let alone beat.

email RedWingDS@msn.com i do accept PayPal.

Red
"dirt biking good clean fun"

00`XR650L,98`KX250,and dont hold this one against me 86`TRX250R
i so prefer bikes over quads. the quad is more like a tow truck for me.;o)

Top Bottom