How Do You Pronounce 'Stella Artois'?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Try as I might, I cannot get it right. A couple near me tried to order it and mangled it as well ;)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
It's always worked for me to simply say that I want a 'Stella!' :cool:

I'll be curious to see if anyone here knows how to pronounce 'Artois.'

Good luck, & H.B.D. Nat! :boss: :ride: Ken W.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I've heard commercials!

It's "are-twa"

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Artois is indeed pronounced "Are-twa" :nod:

Interestingly [at least unto me :nener: ] there was a town named "German Town" in Northern California-Glenn County. At the outbreak of WWII the name was changed to "Artois"... after a province in Northern France[I assume allied with the USA] ... The Change in name likely avoided "problems" as there has always been a large population of German Americans farming this part of California.

Any who, My very German Grandpa would crack up when me and my brother called the place "our-toys"....

Now Stella Artois.... consume a few of those...."Vous Parlons Francais dans les USA!" :laugh:

Oh and "Happy Birthday!" I don't know you, but I like the way you write!
Ken

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
It is "are-twa" and it is among my favorite beers. Those Belgiums know how to make some good beer! For the record - I just order a "Stella" when I am at a pub.

-=jeffd

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I discovered Stella Are Twa when I had to go over to the U.K. for work. It is one of my favorite beers on tap, I wish more restaurants had it! I've bought it bottled a few times and was very dissapointed. I would pronounce the bottled stuff SKUNKED!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Order a Stella and don't worry about it :nod:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
So is this stuff the next great imported fad-beer?

It's about time as I am so tired of people offering me that crap from south of the border that everyone sticks fruit in.

How do you say Goebel.......or Pfeiffer? :coocoo:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks all! I am not ready to give up on The Captain, but lately I have been diggin' the brew. "Stella Are-Twa" is a good one. I have been fond of the darker brews, but recently tried a Blue Moon with a twist of orange in it and it was pretty tasty on a summer afternoon.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Stella r twa

Stella is good stuff! Me likey very much. Also, if drinking beer with fruit in it is against "Manlaw" then I need to turn my card in. Do I have a card? Did any of you guys get one? Maybe mine is in the mail? My mailservice is not very good.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
motodr9 said:
Also, if drinking beer with fruit in it is against "Manlaw" then I need to turn my card in. Do I have a card? Did any of you guys get one? Maybe mine is in the mail? My mailservice is not very good.

I don’t think that is the case. I just question the need for sticking fruit in my beer. If I need a chunk of citrus to make the beer palatable, then I question whether I have chosen the right beer (or drink for that matter) to begin with.

Similar to coffee……if I need to mix in sugar, chocolate syrup, and cream before I drink it, then maybe I don’t really like coffee to begin with. That’s why I don’t patronize Starbucks although I think it really is a brilliant marketing strategy. They burn the heck out of their beans and then brew it extra strong so no one will drink it straight up. Then they can turn $1.00 cups of coffee into $5.00 yuppie foo foo drinks.

You have got my curiosity up now. I will have to try the Stella, sans fruit.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I sure wish I knew what ye was talkin' about.

For now, I'lll stick with a Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewery

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Yes, Dead Guy is good.

I wouldn't really consider Stella a Belgian, although maybe technically it is...not far from Heinekin or Corona in my book, not that that's a bad thing. I suspect in their country (where Stella is made), it's sort of the "Budweiser" of sorts. Stella does seem to be some what of a fad in the US right now. A good beer for a hot summer day, more refreshing than some.

If you want a good "real" Belgian, try a La Binchoise Reserve Special. 9% ABV (but you would never know it), about $13.50 for a four pack of 11 oz. bottles. It truly is an amazing drink. A Delirium (Nocturnum or Tremens) or a St. Bernardis is no slouch either.

For the last few years, i've really been digging the pale ales. Here are a few of my favorites:

Dogfish head (60, 90, 120 min. or Shelter)
Bell's Two Heared Ale
Three Floyds Alpha King (don't try this if you dont like hops)
Three Floyds Pride and Joy (a bit mellower)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
motometal said:
Bell's Two Heared Ale

Yes, Bell's brews some great beers, that one included. I am a big fan of their amber........it may be my personal favorite. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Barman, une biére pour mon bon ami! :cool:

(HBB, Nat!)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
BadgerMan said:
Yes, Bell's brews some great beers, that one included. I am a big fan of their amber........it may be my personal favorite. :cool:
Years ago I had a Bells, not sure of the name but I think it was a cream stout. It was like Guinness, only thicker and richer than that. A good experience but one was enough.

The Bells two hearted ale was available for a short time in stores here, then they took it away again...something to do with %alcohol limit of the distributor. I don't get it, it may have been 7-9% but not more than many Belgians.

The hopped-up pale ale thing started (around here anyway) with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the green bottle. It was easy to find, convenience stores even. Once folks got a taste for the Sierra, they realized how really boring their old favorite beer really was (if they like beer with a hoppy character anyway), and it took off from there. An Alpha King or the Bells mentioned above totally blows away a Sierra Nevada for hoppiness and character. It's really getting over-the-top, but in IBU (international bitterness units), and $$. I enjoy most any pale ale but some of the latest ones will litterally make me sneeze from the bitterness, and they are pushing $12 a six here. We're talking about beers that simply didn't exist even a few years ago.

The variety of beers readilly available has really changed, there's something for everyone. Yet I still hear folks arguing about Coors vs. Miller...like there's really much difference :bang:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
motometal said:
Years ago I had a Bells, not sure of the name but I think it was a cream stout. It was like Guinness, only thicker and richer than that. A good experience but one was enough.

The Bells two hearted ale was available for a short time in stores here, then they took it away again...something to do with %alcohol limit of the distributor. I don't get it, it may have been 7-9% but not more than many Belgians.

We're lucky in that Bell's is a local brewery for us and most restaurants and bars have their stuff on tap. Their Oberon Ale is the big fad around here this summer. It's OK by me but I am not a huge fan of cloudy unfiltered wheat beers. I had one last night but I chased it with a Guinness. :cool:

Being a bit Irish, I am a sucker for Guinness and especially Smithwicks. However, with so many good local brews I question the need to seek out imported beer. It reminds me of the old Bob and Tom skit about "Hot Dog Water"........you can rationalize drinking anything if it says "Imported" on the bottle. :rotfl:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Jaybird said:
Barman, une biére pour mon bon ami! :cool:

(HBB, Nat!)

Merci boucoup, bon ami!! :cool:

I think I need try out one of those Bells. I love Guinness Stout, so I'm almost certain I would love this.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I just say give me a "Stella". It good stuff. A friend turned me on to it down a the local pub. They have it on tap and if you hear a U2 song on the radio it's a $2.00 pint.

I was out on the east coast and found this stuff:

http://www.yuengling.com/

I was trying to figure out a way to get some here. We drove back from North Carolina with a few cases. Good stuff!

Top Bottom