How do you remove a stuck kickstarter lever?

dozer

Dec 18, 2000
How do you remove a stuck kickstarter lever from the shaft of a 99 KTM 300 EXC? It has never been removed before and I have applied heat from a propane torch and plenty of pentrating fluid. No luck yet.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'm sure they did the thing all KTM people are supposed to do to a new KTM, which is Loc-Tite it on (that and the shift lever). If they used red Loc-Tite -- and from the sounds of it they did -- then you probably need more heat. Propane doesn't generate that much heat relatively speaking. Gently heating with an oxy-acetylene (aka welding) torch is probably what you'll need to do. Just be sure to not use too big a tip and keep the torch moving so you don't get a concentrated hot spot, thereby melting the aluminum lever.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I had one stuck on a KDX. That I had to use a small posi lock gear puller to get it off.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
http://www.posilock.com/ManPullers/man102opt.htm#202 you should be able to buy this puller a good power transmission supply house or maybe grainger or Mcmastercarr.com
Note: the kick starter lever was so rusted on my kdx that I had to cut the knuckle off the kick-starter shaft with a dremel cut off disc. Then split it with a thin chisel, and then pull it off with a two-jaw posi lock puller. This was an extreme case! Beware of using any heat in that area. As there's a rubber seal that will be damaged and have to be replace!

Top Bottom