May 5, 2007
How exactly do you repack a silencer with rivets instead of bolts?Are they even repackable?
Im about to rebuild my bike's topend and replace reeds and I was gonna repack the silencer also because it throws spooge every where and my bikes not foulin plugs at all.
And i do have a owners manual but it doesnt mention this at all.
Thanks

May 5, 2007
A shop will do it right?I dont really want to cause im not sure if i will do it right.But im sure it wont be more than 25 dolllars plus the packing right?Oh and also is there a way to clean the oil out of the expansion chamber?

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
ya either you seal up one end and fill it up with gas and let it sit over night and then pour it out. Or if you have a torch, just heat it up and bang off the old carbon.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
93YZproject said:
While we're on the subject, any idea what the difference is between an FMF powercore and powercore II silencer??

Cant see there being much of a difference except for cost and apperance. Unless the original uses rivets and the new one uses bolts?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
MXer666 said:
ya either you seal up one end and fill it up with gas and let it sit over night and then pour it out. Or if you have a torch, just heat it up and bang off the old carbon.
He is asking about the silencer, not the pipe.

DO NOT FILL THE SILENCER WITH GAS.

May 5, 2007
Well i got my bike almost completely apart today and am waiting on the piston kit.But i went ahead and got the silencer apart and the packing was wet with oil on the side that connects to the expansion chamber.But other than that it doesnt seem that bad,how do i know if the old packing is bad?And I dont Put gas in my silencer but what about my expansion chamber?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
derek the 2 stroke said:
Well i got my bike almost completely apart today and am waiting on the piston kit.But i went ahead and got the silencer apart and the packing was wet with oil on the side that connects to the expansion chamber.But other than that it doesnt seem that bad,how do i know if the old packing is bad?And I dont Put gas in my silencer but what about my expansion chamber?

You can put gas in the expansion chamber, but it really won't do much about carbon buildup.. That stuff is pretty tough..

Heating it probably the best way to remove that.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Find a car shop with a hot tank,find out when they change the liquid. That pipe will trash the hot tank! On the non plated pipes I have been known to putting it in the fire pit! It smells pretty good! Silencer packing usually comes with directions,read them! Replace at regular intervals,your bike will run a lot crisper. Do not wait until it requires an epa super fund to dispose of! Good oil,no mechanical issues and properly jetted equals no spooge!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom