how do you set pre-load on 43 wp's forks?????????

bultaco290

May 10, 2001
:silly: I need to put some pre-load in the forks on my 01 520mxc but I''m not sure how to do it... Is it like the honda's and jjust use some pcv if so how long? I saw some preload adjuster that KTM is offering but they are ownly good for 10mmm of preload and my forks are @ 60mm of satic sag and I think they should be around 20mm Please help

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
Pre load

I do believe there is a Teflon shim stack at the top of your spring , you can add more shims or even metal washers if you can find them that size.

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus bultaco290,

As I recall KTM/WP says 15mm is max. preload on the 43mm USD forks. This is achieved with spacers on top of the springs. If this spacer is too big, you can a) damage your forks and b) with too much preload your suspension will not work alright.

So if you really need more than 15mm to get a static sag within spec your fork springs are probaly sagged out . But be careful, the thickness of the spacer is not equal preload!!! Stock sag on these bikes is 6mm with the spacer being much thicker.

I'm running 12mm of preload on my 01 520EXC and get 30-35mm of static sag!

Michael

Last edited:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Forget the spacers, up the spring rate, it will make the a world of difference.!
Any aggressive rider over 180 pnds will benifit from heavier springs on the RFS. (front and back)

Top Bottom