ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I've heard that the Moss Lake loop is pretty technical, with lap times that range between two and four hours. It's 28 miles.

Evart, I am told, is also a pretty technical loop, something like 22 miles. How does it compare to Moss Lake?

Are either of these trails even worth attempting by a quasi-novice on a 500cc two-stroke, or am I just asking for trouble?

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Moss lake would be a hand full on a 500. I havent ridden evart

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
you can ride Evart on your 500 - no problem - just take your time and you'll be fine. Evart is much more open than Moss Lake. When we put the Evart trail in, it was much like Moss Lake is now but years and thousands of spinning knobbies have turned Evart into a much different trail - it still is a challenge but a much different (most will say easier for sure) challenge - deep sand whoops, rocks, roots, and even a few (slight) off cambers at Evart.

I was at Evart one day (a year or so ago) and encountered a group of riders just finishing - they asked how I dared start the loop at such a late hour riding by myself - would I have time to finish before dark? I told them that I planned to run it 2X - once each direction - it was then that they told me that it had taken them more than 4 hours to complete 1 loop.

If that same group of riders take on Moss Lake, I'd suggest a real early morning start (and maybe pack a lunch) - they'll be a while since Moss Lake has similar terrain to Evart but you'll be riding it 2 gears less than what you'll ride Evart (Instead of 4th gear, you'll be in 2nd) because it is that much tighter - making it that much more of a challenge. As posted above, I too would NOT recommend Moss Lake for a novice rider - they would not have much fun - but in my opinion - Moss Lake is THE best (public) trail in Michigan at this time (As Evart used to be many years ago)
P.S. I also wouldn't wish to ride your 500 at Moss Lake - and I'm no novice

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
My .02 -->

Moss Lake Trail + Big Old 500 + Novice Rider = Frustration.

Sure it's doable... but there are other trails that would be more fun for that combination.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I agree with Magoo and Katoom.... but if you are wanting a challenge - go for it. Huge plus for Moss lake - ZERO whoops! Your barkbusters will be exercised heavily. Evart is comparatively wide open vs Moss Lake.

Honestly, I would suggest getting really comfy with a trail like Evart..or do Tomahawk (Wolverine) multiple times. - in fact, being comfy with enduro event type trail would be good...before doing Moss Lake. If you ride Trailfest, you will get a taste of some event trail. Do that before making the long drive. Work your way up to it - then when you do Moss Lake you will enjoy it much more.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
I hate these threads that dangle the carrot. I"ll either hit Moss Lke or Trailfest this year. Moss Lake if I make the trip to Ralph to bowhunt. If I can't take the week off I"ll be sure to take a long weekend.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
KTM Mike said:
I agree with Magoo and Katoom.... but if you are wanting a challenge - go for it. Huge plus for Moss lake - ZERO whoops!

There is no real whoops yet, however there are large sections that you cross a ton of chop and it still is quite rough. It's like large corn rows or something. It may be from a tree seed planter many years ago. This is not smooth trial, I recommend a soft marshmallowy suspension set up.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
09oneL said:
There is no real whoops yet, however there are large sections that you cross a ton of chop and it still is quite rough. It's like large corn rows or something. It may be from a tree seed planter many years ago. This is not smooth trial, I recommend a soft marshmallowy suspension set up.

Agreed. That nasty chop is from furrows when they did a pine plantation years ago. It ends about 4.8 miles out from the parking lot as I recall. Right after it ends, there is a really cool section with some fun off cambers and elevation changes.

To by pass that nasty bit of trail, one option is to go out of the parking lot back to the road, turn right on the road - go down the road to the first trail crossing. My memory is a bit fuzzy here - if you take that first crossing to the right, you have about 3 miles of trail before you hit those furrows again. Or go left (north) and ride the rest of the loop. As it has been said - this is by no means a "easy" trail. For us wackos - it sure is a fun trail!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Okay, okay - I will do Evart in the spring, and Trailfest on the 24th.

Yep, the big ol' 500 has turned out to be a handful, and I'm still figuring it out. I've learned that the EE barkbusters and Protaper handlebars have been EXCELLENT investments as those things have whacked big trees about five times so far this year and all that's happened is the loss of the brake lever tip. Moss Lake sounds like I should hold off until I'm riding something with a little less mass that also doesn't require a huge boot to re-start.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
barkbuster67 said:
Moss Lake is a breeze on the 950, 500 seems a little small to me. :yikes:
My thoughts exactly - The 500 is kids play. Leave the bow in the truck and cut 2 loops.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
nickolino said:
:nod: There aint any Deer at Ralph. Stay under the bridge to hunt more deer and you won't have that long Drive.
No deer in Manistique either but I keep going back. Something just turns off north of the bridge, I like it. Wouldn't want to live with it shut off all of the time, but for deer camp its good. :nod:

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
Ralphs been pretty good to us the last few years. Five deer in five years. Should have been seven counting the two I missed, three hours apart no less. DOH, I just suck. And Bass and Porterfield are right around the block.

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
I shoot a recurve and and want to ride my new xr 650 to moss lake. I plan to ride to moss lake with my recuvre on my back along with my new Grizzly climbing stand. I plan to hunt when I get to that nice ridge just past that long off chamber right before it goes to the left. If I'm successful how far to that one road that takes me back to the parking lot....Magoo or Walt....ed

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
As long as you're less than 40" wide, you'll be fine!

As the crow flies, that one road you're referring to isn't that far from the spot you're talking about.

And watch for bears, cougar and raptors in that area!

Last edited:

nickolino

Feb 21, 2008
:laugh: So no problem driving to the GLORIUS UP to hunt deer. But my god can't drive for the Loose Moose cause its too far? I have another word for it Pussifacation it also can be shortened to make it singular.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
nickolino said:
:laugh: So no problem driving to the GLORIUS UP to hunt deer. But my god can't drive for the Loose Moose cause its too far? I have another word for it Pussifacation it also can be shortened to make it singular.
I'm skeered of rocks. :yikes:

Top Bottom