Feb 9, 2005
So I am planning on racing in the Cross Country Race held at China hat in Oregon and am getting a little concerned. I just found out that the loops are 45miles!! There are 2 loops. We can only refuel at the start finish meaning I need to make sure that i can get 45 miles out of one tank of gas. I will be riding the 05 CRF450 with a std tank. Anyone have experience in this arena? I don't think I will make it but I dont want to go and buy a large tank for $200+ if i can help it either!!
Thanks
-Shane

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I agree, that is pushing it.

Not sure if I would risk it.

For reference sake, here are some mileage figures from my '03 CRF 450 from 2 different races:

Avg Speed: 54
MPG: ~18-20

Avg. Speed: 32
MPG: ~ 24-26

Note that anything that avgs 50 mph is nothing but a flat-out desert race. I would imagine most Western off road events are in the 20-30 mph range.

I dunno. I wouldn't want to chance a 45 mile loop on a stock CRF tank.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would think that you would likely run out of gas before the start/finish. The more you are on the main jet(race pace), the more fuel you will consume. A larger tank will run you $165 or so and is easily changed.
Real world experience: I raced an Enduro that was axle deep mud for the entire loop. After 15 miles of trail, 40 mins down on the race pace, justql and I bailed and road back to the pit area on an asphalt road about 5 miles. When I arrived home, I drained the tank and only had 1/2 gallon of fuel. I used 1.3 gallons in 20 miles. Our speeds were slow but our engine revs were high due to the deep mud. justql's KTM overheated several times due to the slow speeds and high rpm's in the mud. Moral of the story, MX tanks are designed for MX not Cross Country or Enduro.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
There is a front number plate tank that holds .8 gal. It is a direct cyphen so no need to stop and refuel. Around $80.

Feb 9, 2005
Thanks so much for the info guys. Honestly - I knew the answer but for some reason was hoping to hear some miracle story about it being find.....DOH!! ;)

I have decided to just purchase the larger tank for the purpose of completing these longer races. I would be SOOO po'd if I ran out of gas 2 miles from the Start/Finish it just wouldnt be worth the tantrum :laugh:

I was thinking IMS but anyone have any other recommendations?

-Shane

Top Bottom