scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I've heard that raising the forks in the triple clamps improves cornering. Mine currently are mounted flush, and with the SRC fork brace I've just installed said keep them at 1/4 inch above the top clamps. I've heard people on kx's drop them as far as possible. I have about an inch and a half of clearance.

My bikes an 91 XR600, with .47 up front and 12 in the back.

Any opinions on how far to go?

------------------
chicks dig scars, pain heals, glory lives forever

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
OK, Here is the deal. This is true for any bike, some are just more sensitive than others. If you slide the tubes up higher in the clamps, the bike will steer quicker, but you can get headshake at high speeds. If you slide the tubes down in the clamps you will help minimize the headshake, but the bike wont steer as quickly. You have to find the balance you like.

As far as how high you can slide them, you will probably hit your handlebars with them if you go too high. I would guess from my experience that 1cm or 10mm is about the max you want to go.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Scar. I agree with Mike T, the balance is personal preference. If you are riding MX or tight single track like Gorman, etc, you will want to slide the forks up as much as possible. Better steering on the tight stuff.

High speed desert, sand, etc, you may like it with the forks pushed out. Less headshake.

On my XR, I change this setting for the conditions that I'm going to be in.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Thanks for the input. I noticed a huge difference this weekend at lake street. Also the SRC fork brace helped a bunch.

------------------
chicks dig scars, pain heals, glory lives forever

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom