chastastic

Jun 18, 2007
i finally got the gas leak to stop on my 03' yz450f but now i'm wondering if it is running too hot? it seems to be very hot when i get close to the block/exhaust, and was even hot enough to melt the airbox by the exhaust pipe. oil/coolent?

chastastic

Jun 18, 2007
even after a couple minuts or riding anything rubber near the exhaust pipe begins to smoke, carb vents, plastics. i'm guessing that the bike is running too hot but y would that be?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Normal exhaust gas temperatures run in the 1100-1550 F range and the pipe wall thickness is less that .050". Of course the pipe is HOT and rubber melts when it's too close.

1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
still, a bike shouldn't be melting its own plastic. i would try mixing more water in the antifreeze and maybe a anti-corrosion additive to compensate for more water, and check the jetting

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
chastastic said:
even after a couple minuts or riding anything rubber near the exhaust pipe begins to smoke, carb vents, plastics. i'm guessing that the bike is running too hot but y would that be?

Check your valve clearance. Had the same thing happen with a CRF150R. Stayed hot even while riding it. Turned out to be tight valves.

Top Bottom