How long before other manufacturers kill their 250cc 2-strokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I just read the test of the 07 CR250 in dirt rider last evening...........it read more like an obituary........ I may be out of the loop somewhat but have the other manufacturers announced terminating their 250 2 strokes also? This is sorta sad for me as I was around when Honda (Then just a 4 stroke company) surprised the MX world with the CR 125m.......I rode the wheels off of and loved mine in the 70's............ I have to admit the 4 strokes are easy to ride but I love the easy maintenance and 2 stroke rush of power...........I'll miss them when and if they all go the way of the dodo bird.......I think I'll keep my 03, even if it just becomes my garage museum piece........

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Uhh... if it still runs, why would it become a museum piece? Just because they discontinued the line?

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
No, I mean eventually most everyone trades in or sells to buy a new bike........... I'll most likely keep it because it's sort of the last of it's kind........at least in the Honda line-up.............

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
What happens with the 2 stroke has everything to do with what kind of rules the AMA and FIM use in the future. If they continue to give the 4 strokes an unfair advantage, the pingers will go the way of the dodo bird. If AMA/FIM Pro change to the 350 4st and if the amatuer class adopts the fair class rule, we'll see many more great years out of the lightweight, inexpensive, simple, quite(er), 2-stroke engine.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
I think 4s will still be popular (especially in the amateur ranks) even if the rule changes. They're just easier for people to ride fast. But I still despise them, and will always ride a 2...until I'm too old and fat, and have to go to a 4 (probably won't be too long lol)

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Somebody will have to continue to make em for the free style boys. If it's like the KX125 not being available in the US any more you can always get one shipped from Japan, they still make 125's but not for USA. Wounder what will happen when they finally terminate engines all together? Instead of gasoline you'll just charge your batteries :laugh:

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
I think that someone will always make a 4-stroke for the freestyle and hare scramble guys.
My guess is going to be that Yamaha and KTM will keep the 2-stroke alive. They seem to be the only ones who continually update and improve their 2-stroke bikes.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I want to know, too. I'm debating whether to get the last year of the CR250 or just get a YZ250 if and when I need a new dirt bike. But I want to know whether Yamaha is going to keep making it and importing it into the U.S.

No way am I getting another KTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom