awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
All right... all you war horses... Been a while sence I posted on my sons recovery from his broken femur and tib/fib fracture. He broke them Jan 27, developed compartment syndrome and spent a month in the hospital, suffers nerve damage and had muscle removal in his right leg. He wants to be riding a little by July, no jumps.
Any you Guys with broken legs and titanium pins ,plates and screws riding??? How soon after the breaks could you ride?
Thanks

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
I have not suffered an injury that serious, but I do have a hand that is held together with two screws. I know this sucks, but the best advice is to listen to the doctor and physical therapist and I feel safe in saying that he will be seeing a physical therapist. This is the only way to minimize the possibility of re-injuring the leg.
Hang in there, it will get better.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Broken hip - pin and plate, riding after 3 months of very intensive PT that I paid for myself (one of the best things I could have done).

Good Luck.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wilson, How extensive is the nerve damage?

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
He had peroneal nerve damage... wont know for a year how much is permanant. his nerves are regenerating so he has lots of 'fantom pain' which is controlled with neurtin. His planar flex (pushing foot down) is great, bones are healing great, but his dorsi flex is almost nothing due to the nerve damage and having about 30 - 40 % of the muscle removed that lifts up the foot. He walks in a boot... rocker boot... with a hinge at the ankle that limits motion and has a spring to assist in dorsi flex. Until his foot / ankle quits swelling they cant put him in regular shoes with a brace.
Side note....a local football (ECU) player dislocated his knee and damaged the same nerve and also has 'foot drop' ,he's playing football again with a brace. So these braces can return you to normal function, you just have to build up to them and retrain your muscles.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
How are his spirits?

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
He was pretty down for a while...tons of stuff to catch up at school, tons of PT and other appointments. But he's doing pretty good now. He graduates next week and that will be one more thing off his shoulders.
All he wants to do is ride again.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
awilson40,
I agree with Kiwi, PT is the answer. A few years ago (10, time flies :scream: ) I blew out an ACL while playing football. At the time I was into slalom skiing, bare footing and was Aircrew in the Navy. The Doc said I'd be off the water for 6+ months and off the flight schedule (grounded) for 12-18 months. :(

I didn't accept the terms and began an intensive self rehab along with the normal PT immediately after surgery. (Only do it this within the limits of your pain.) The Navy decreased my scheduled PT as I demonstrated improvement. That's the wrong way to go! You see, THEY were willing to accept the "normal" recovery time, but I wasn't.

I stuck with the 3 scheduled PTs a week and kept at my own rehab for another month. During this time (30 days after surgery) I was skiing again, another month later barefooting. Finally on a follow-up visit with my Doc I told him what I'd been doing.

At first he wasn't happy and had me demonstrate several exercises normally performed prior to being recommended for flight status again. This was 3 months after surgery and I past his exercises without a problem. He let me fly 6 months after surgery. :)

Sorry about the long story, but here's the point. He has a goal; don't let anyone get in the way of that goal, except him and his pain. Have him agree now to meet certain terms prior to riding and you’ll be the judge prior to letting him ride. If he's motivated and it sounds to me he is, he'll perform self PT everyday until he's ready to ride. The kick starter and more importantly, the rear brake should be in the terms you agree too. I wish him well and keep us posted.

Scott

Go Pirates!

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
awilson40,

I hate these kind of stories and hope your son fully recovers.

My injury was a fracture tibia plateau. A lot of fracturing. It didn't heal straight so doc rebroke the bone and replaced the screws and plate three months after the first operation. Some nerve damage but no ghost pain.

It took about 9 months after the second operation to get back on a dirt bike. A large part of the time was spent recovering from the muscle atrophy. Look for range of motion and strength as signs of being ready to ride.

If there is pain I'd consult a doctor first.

Best Wishes

Whoops

- bscottr, what squadron? I was aircrew in VS-21.

Last edited:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Whoops,
Cool. :) AW? I was an AT in VP-30, VP-10, Force Warfare, BUPERs, Naval Air Systems Command. Small world. What are you up to now?

BTW Your point concerning muscle atrophy is dead on.

Scott

Put-Put

Apr 13, 2002
Awilson, bscottr is right on about the PT. I'm medical guy in the military. I've been in for about ten yrs and mostly in light infantry and airborne units. Most of the old NCO's who spend most of their time jumping out of acft tend to have really poor knees and ankles. Although this is a bit late for your son, the best way to prepare/avoid injuries is through exercise and stretching. The more you exercise and stretch the more limber you are when your body unexpectedly encounters an outside force, ie the rubberband. More to the point, once you are injured the keys to recovery especially in the area of breaks and joint problems are, morale and PT. Our biggest problem in my area when it comes to injury recover is that we don't continue to follow up with PT once the symptoms of the injury diminish, or go back several months later to re-inspect the problem area. Keep on with the PT and follow thorugh with it despite the cost. A good Physical therapist will not only treat the injury, but should also be your son's biggest fan/buttkicker on the road to recovery. I hope he heals up soon and is able to get back in the saddle. Good luck!!

Top Bottom