89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
just a question. i see all these people at one place i ride get on there bikes and kick it and start riding like theres no end. i always warm up on choke and never really run hard till the bikes running right (u will know) seems like everyone doesnt know about cold seizing a bike. i think i fully understood when i saw them riding in shorts and tennis shoes tho.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I've read in a Dirt Rider mag from a few years back that you should only start the bike with the choke on, and turn it off ASAP (NEVER put a load on the engine with the choke on). If it's warm out I usually blip the throttle no more than 3 or 4 times before turning the choke off, if it's colder (~40F or lower) I usually have to keep it on a little longer, blipping the throttle just enough to keep it running and checking every few cracks to see if it will run without the choke. After the engine can run without the choke, I take off my left glove and hold my hand on the pipe (while blipping the throttle like you would before a moto waiting for the 30sec board to go sideways) until it feels too hot for comfort. At the races I've seen people warm up by revving their engines to the moon with the choke on, as smoke billows from the silencer. Not good. After having experienced a few cold seizures, when I raced 125 motos, I have no problems waiting for a proper warm up. Think, just a few more minuets of waiting can possibly spare you the cost equivalent of a fork revalve and a set of tires.
Best of Luck
-Nick

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I start mine w/ the choke on, push the choke in, and ride on out. After about 3 to 5 minutes it is warmed up. I ride while it warms up, only giving it enough throttle to make it sputter (test blips). Once it clears up top I'm good to go.

That thing with revving it to high hell cold under no load is pretty scary to me, maybe it's just me though :)

Joe Chief

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
For cold start I choke it and kick with out any gas. Some people blip the gas when they kick it and it just floods the engine. Before I kick I push it down to compression(were it gets tight) and them kick. I was always taught to do that and I'm a fairly small guy on a KDX. Mine usualy starts on the 2 or 3 kick. After your sure the bike won't die(or about 5 seconds) turn the choke off. When your engine finally slows down to idle speed your ready. Don't rev it over half throttle until its ran a while. run it through the gears easy a few times reving it higher each time. Wind it out before you ride hard. If you've rode the bike in the last 45 minutes it should just start up with 1 kick.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Start with the choke on...

Turn off choke...

Sometimes I let it idle a couple minutes while I'm putting on gear...

Take off down the trail, usually within 40-50 yards she wakes up and smooths out...

Then I gas it! and try to catch 'carvr and usually immediately after that I wrecK!

By this time I'm so far behind I gotta try to figure out where the heck 'carvr went to...

So I call him on the radio "Canyncarvr? Did you go right, left or straight??"

By this time my bike is plenty warm!

You may not have as good of results but thats how I do it anyway ;)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
When you first take off it will be ruff in 1 through 4. Be easy with the bike and don't start riding(I mean in the woods or on the track) until it runs smooth in all gears. It will be really doggy at first so don't rev it out through the gears until it is warm(you can feel w/ your hand the pipe or better yet the engine). I do a little reving with the clutch in to get the bike warm without a load on it. You'll know when a KDX is ready by the feel after you've rode one a while.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah, radios are a almost must. I really need them since I depend on my dad to direct me up a ruff hill or tell me which way he went if he gets to far ahead. Makes riding a lot more fun when you can talk to someone just keep your eyes on the trail.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i let it idle or slowly ride it untill i can feel heat from the engine and then i go a bit faster untill i can fell the radiator is warm ,THEN I PIN IT,i think when the radiator is warm the thermostate must me open and therefore it must be at correct operating temperature.correct me if im wrong.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The thermostat tells the pump how much water(antifrezze) to pump to the engine. I feel the pipe because this tells the temp. of the exhast. Its not as accurate because it takes a while to heat up the pipe. Feel the side of the engine.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
About the radios,

Seems some people scoff at them, but they really make some things better. Traveling in two vehicles? Now you can talk (gotta pee, I'm low on gas, Hey, check out this Hottie coming up on the right!!!!! You just missed the exit knucklehead.)

Hunting, no more time schedules, "See anything??? I'm goin' back to the truck!!! I'm going to walk towards ya," It turns hunting from a solitary sport into a group sport. (That's only if you like the people you ride/hunt with).

Chief

Top Bottom