ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
How long does premixed gas last in your bike or gas can before it starts to separate? I mixed some gas a few weeks ago and it's been sitting since then. I've only gone through two tanks out of my 5 gallon can and Im going riding this weekend.

I really just want to know how long will it last before it's bad? Of course I'll shake it up before in the can and bike before I ride.

93 Octane mixed at 40:1

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
rm_racer said:
Most oils wont separate quickly. Castor based oils separate at a certain temp. I think its around 40*/F.

Well considering I'm using castor 927 and it's not ANYWHERE near 40* here in Texas I guess I dont need to worry bout that anytime soon. Thanks guys! :ride:

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
gas and oil never separate. Some of the fats in castor oil will solidify over time in cold weather. If you use a synthetic oil it never separates.

However, over time some of the volitiles in the gasoline will evaporate out if it is in a plastic can. Then the gas will not burn very well and you bike will run like crap if at all. Some bikes are more affected by this than other. Before I got 125 leaned out correctly, I could not leave gas for more than a week. Now it seems fine regardless.

May 18, 2006
I know with my four stroke motors that sit during the winter i add some seafoam as a stabilizer, i wonder if you added a stabilizer to your gas before you mixed it with your oil if it would hold up like that.... i let one of my fourwheelers sit all winter with stabilizer and it fired up and ran great months later....

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
alligatorbling said:
I know with my four stroke motors that sit during the winter i add some seafoam as a stabilizer, i wonder if you added a stabilizer to your gas before you mixed it with your oil if it would hold up like that.... i let one of my fourwheelers sit all winter with stabilizer and it fired up and ran great months later....

Well here in Austin we really dont have a winter like everywhere up north. It gets to "Maybe" upper 50's on average in the coldest months but I can ride year round in mostly nice weather. I'm not worried about storing it for the winter as I'll be riding just as much as in the summer.

May 18, 2006
ls1cameric said:
Well here in Austin we really dont have a winter like everywhere up north. It gets to "Maybe" upper 50's on average in the coldest months but I can ride year round in mostly nice weather. I'm not worried about storing it for the winter as I'll be riding just as much as in the summer.

lucky you... ::grumbles:: well, if you were to park your bike to go on a cruse you won and your bike sat, lets say that

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
alligatorbling said:
lucky you... ::grumbles:: well, if you were to park your bike to go on a cruse you won and your bike sat, lets say that

lol... okay... I'll keep it in mind the next time i go on a cruz! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom