How long should you "take it easy" on a new top end?

yamikawi21

Oct 21, 2008
I have a 97 YZ125. Brand new piston, ring, rod, needle bearing, cylinder honed, gaskets, spark plug...new top end.

How long should I ride slow and under lower RPMs before I can open it up again?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Idle till it warms up, cool down. Repeat. Then take a ride till it warms up, and no full throttle. Then a 15 minute ride no full throttle. Then it should be good.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Let it warm up then rip. Really there is no big break in with a 2-stroke in my book. The rings are so small that they are good to go as soon as everything warms up.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Bearings need to run in for a little while before really running it hard. I do a couple easy runs with a cool down between then call it good. A plated cylinder and modern rings generally don't need to be babied after a rebuild.

zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
yamikawi21, what kit do you use? I'm thinking of ordering the Wiseco kit.......

I would take it easy(no full throttle) for the 1st 1/2 hr then let her rip!

JD-250

Sep 6, 2003
You will probably get about 20 different opionions on the subject and then be even more confused then before. Find the owners manual and follow what the factory recommends for break-in.

yamikawi21

Oct 21, 2008
Good idea JD - too bad i just read your advice :P
I let it run (around idle) for 20 minutes two seperate times. Then a couple easy rides up and down the road. Then took her out and had a blast. Faster then my bike has ever been!

zrx - I ordered the "top end kit" with Wiseco piston kit and Cometic gaskets from Motosport magazine. Its the cheapest price I could find. and so far Im very happy with the products. Good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom