killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
i recently had the entire top end of my 97 kx 125 rebuilt, new piston, cylinder, ring, head.... its running better than when i bought it brand new. i was wondering how long befor i should need a new ring/piston/replated?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Longevity of a top end is dependent upon many factors: i.e break-in, maintenance, environment, how it is ridden, jetting - to name a few. Figure a range from 15 hours for a bike with a hard life to 100 hours for a bike that see's light duty and good maintenance.

As far as top speed, that too is dependent on a number of factors, such as sprocket selection (final gear ratio), jetting, rider weight, surface, environmental conditions. Pick a number and defend it...that's what most people do.

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
i dont really ride that hard... i dont race or anything, just trail ride and cruize around my neighborhood, but i do like to ride wide open!

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Xtremesports445 said:
you'd only have to change out piston and rings
Or just the rings, most of the time the piston is fine unless you fail to maintenence it regularly or just plain abuse it :aj:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
yeah.. im going to start replacing the rings/piston every year. once a year. beause if it blows up.. then you have to replace the cylinder.. which cost alot more money :nod:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
When you start feeling a loss of power or it consistently takes a few more kicks to start it, it's time to pull it apart and measure piston, cylinder and ring end gap to see if anything is needed.

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
thanks for all the info, i had to get a new cylinder cause i when i brought it to the shop to get the head torqued back down (i dont have a torque wrench) they over tightened the cylinder bolts and cracked the cylinder.... but its ok cause they payed for the cylinder!

Top Bottom