live4speed

Feb 29, 2004
Ok...I am currently on a 4-stroke and am going to buy a 2-stroke when the deal arises.....but I was just wondering how long a 2 stroke motor would last out trail riding I wanna get either a KDX 220, YZ 250, or a CR 250 im not that aggresive the odd run on the track but nothing hardcore.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
First off

The KDX is specifically made for trail riding so it might be you best choise unless you plan on mixing in MX.
The 2 stroke will last as long as any four stroke with proper maintenance.
Granted you have to do top ends alot on 2 strokes and they are more maintenance oriented BUT, they cost a great deal less to maintain.
Except for the spark plug :laugh:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I'm gonna have to switch to something else. I used Motul religiously in my last 2-stroke, but the price has gotten out of hand. I wanted to put something in my RM that I was familiar with, but I had no idea it had increased in price that much. I started out using Klotz, but it spooged too bad for my taste.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Try GS

I have always used Golden Spectro at a 50:1 ratio and never have had a problem.
Price isnt to bad yet I am sure there are cheaper oils out there for sure.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
The KDX 200 is an awesome bike in the woods. I was faster than my friends on 250 2-stroke MX bikes b/c of the smooth power delivery and gearing. The KDX also requires a little less maintenance. The only thing I didn't like about the KDX was the right-side-up forks, they aren't as solid. However, after upgrading the forks, it was a great bike. Now on an MX track, the 250 2 stroke wins hands down.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Guys, try Mobil MX2T if you want a very high quality 2-stroke oil for as little money as you can find.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Mike R. said:
I have always used Golden Spectro at a 50:1 ratio and never have had a problem.
Price isnt to bad yet I am sure there are cheaper oils out there for sure.

I ran Motul at 50:1 in my KTM 250 sx and fried a main bearing. I raced it and practiced with it for 2 years, so I guess that wasn't all that bad. The rebuild was expensive due to the parts cost. That ended my KTM affiliation. I went Blue.

WillyM

May 18, 2004
oil

showtime586 said:
I'm gonna have to switch to something else. I used Motul religiously in my last 2-stroke, but the price has gotten out of hand. I wanted to put something in my RM that I was familiar with, but I had no idea it had increased in price that much. I started out using Klotz, but it spooged too bad for my taste.

I have been using amsoil 100: 1 for about 13 years now I say its the best oil out there. I don't want to blow smoke up anyones a** this stuff will exceed any expectation.
I do mix it at 80 to 1 just because it is 1 bottle to a 5 gal. container.
I have not fouled a plug in 13 years ,and before I switched
to it I used to re ring every 8 races and install a new piston 3 times a season but now I use 1 piston and 2 sets of rings.
Give it a try if you don't believe me give it a try.
Oh by the way it only cost $4.95 for 5 gal of gas @80:1

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Now I gotta try this

A buddy I went to HS withrides Trials bikes Sherco in competitions. Anyhow ran into him at local stealership and he invited me over he wanted me to see his new Enduro play toy.
Anyways he bout a TM and man do those things come decked out with bthe goodies in stock form. Anyhow we where talking about oil premixes and he said "boy I can hook you up with the best stuff made"
Anyhow its made in Italy or something and get this it smells like strawberries when it burns.
I about fell over after I watched him quckly jet his new TM and then fire it up. I was like wth is that smell it smells like um fruit or something he laughed and said its just so happens it smells like strawberries.
He said its the cleanest buring oil he has ever run.
I just thought all be damn :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom