KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
I am looking at buying one of these for my next Trail bike. I was just curious what I can expect out of them for fuel efficiency? I just don't want to be the guy that makes everyone turn back b/c I am out of fuel, you know!!!!!

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
That does not seem so good, but then again it might not be all that bad either? Does anyone know what kind of range the KLX300R or a WR250F have on a tank of fuel?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Depends a lot on riding conditions, terrain, rider weight, riding style, jetting....

On faster terrain I can get nearly 60-70 miles, but in tight, rutty, poison oak infested, steep single track 35-45 miles may be pushing it. (I'm running 12/48 gearing)

I think someone a couple days ago mentioned they can go 120+ miles.... must be pretty flat!

On one of the areas we ride in, we have a spot where we drop off a can of gas (along with lunch and beer!) and hide it out in the woods along the trail. Gives us enough gas to continue on and eventually make it back to the truck. Total trip is around 125+ miles in 8-10 hours!

Last edited:

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
My KDX 200 will go around 70-80 miles on a tank in tight technical (enduro) terrain. However, in two dual sports (Kentucky and Arkansas), the first gas stop was at 50 miles both times and it used 1.3 gallons each time. With a 3 gallon tank I believe that means almost 150 miles if you are fairly steady and consistent with the throttle. That is also after getting the jetting and gearing adjusted properly.
JCW

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Same as Wibby here. If its nasty, rutty, tough, ugly...35 miles(12/47 gaering)
If its regular trail, like Michigan ccc trails, I get about 60 to 65, depending on how hard I push and how sandy it is.
...120 miles...down hill, engine off;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I imagine they would run out of energy from muscling those big thumpers around long before I run out of gas! ;)

I have not ridden with many 4 strokers, but I meet a lot on the trail and quite a few ask how I like the KDX, and I've heard them say more than once that they wished they would have tried the KDX before they bought that big thumper!

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I ride regularly with a guy that rides a WR426. We are very similar riders in both size and skill. He is constantly having to adjust something on that sucker and still doesn't have it dialed in right. The KDX is king in the woods, but on the straights and gravel roads the 426 really flexes on me. For me, I like the shorter wheelbase and 125 feel. By that I mean you can really flick it around and manhandle it in tight spots. The 426 has over 40 pounds on the little KDX when fueled up!!! You defintely have to be in top shape to get the most out of a big thumper. A KDX is great because of it's tremendous versatility...by that I mean, if you've had a hard week at work and just feel like taking a nice easy ride, you can...or if you feel like venting, you can take it to the track and wring it out like many of these guys do. The bottom line is...the KDX can do it all--just ask Jeff.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Oh, and just to keep this on topic...I get no less than 65 miles on mine and have gotten over 100 miles on it. I just rejetted and am very close to the 100 mile mark more consistently.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
BTW, my gearing is 14/47 w/ an FMF -35 woods pipe. Jetting almost doubled my gas milage. Also, on the Ozark Dual Sport last month, I filled up right beside a guy from Iowa who was on an 03 KDX 220. At 50 miles, I used 1.3 gallons and he used 1.4. I have no idea how his bike was set up, but it proves it can be done.

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
This is all good stuff, I just keep getting sold more and more on this bike!! BTW, my only other concern for this bike or any 2stroke really is the fat pipe sticking out there. How have you all addressed protecting that pipe?

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
From KDXFRK, "How have you all addressed protecting that pipe?"

1) Don't crash (really, ride within your skill level and improve every ride)
2) Crash on the left side only (not as easy to do)
3) Buy a pipe guard (real easy to do / +/- $30)
4) Replace it when it get bad enough (my personal choice-hopefully 3-4 yrs)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'That does not seem so good.'

If 70 miles isn't enough, the kdx won't do (without an ims tank..maybe).

This question has been asked only about a gazillion times. It never fails to amaze me, because I have more than once posted the exact answer to your question.

The kdx will get:
  • 25 miles per tank.
  • 85 miles per tank.

#1 is at sealevel in the sand, around 50-60º.

#2 is at 4-7000'el. mostly on hi-speed roads, around 70-80º.

Both jetted to suit.

Th'ar 'ya go!

Last edited:

drisheavy

Nov 24, 2002
I have a stock 01 200, stock gearing, stock pipe, I am at about 1600 ft above sea level ( stock jets) I run amzoil at 100 to 1 and get any where from 90 to 105 on the stock tank I am a fairly fast rider( out in the desert) but am not full throttle when I get that milage . I have never got less than 85 out of the tank, that is why I picked this bike no other 2 stroke enduro can touch the milage.ps dont go with aftermarket reeds or you will lose milage, I weight 140 lbs hope this is what you wanted to know Jamminjer

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by drisheavy
I have a stock 01 200, stock gearing, stock pipe, I am at about 1600 ft above sea level ( stock jets) I run amzoil at 100 to 1 and get any where from 90 to 105 on the stock tank I am a fairly fast rider( out in the desert) but am not full throttle when I get that milage . I have never got less than 85 out of the tank, that is why I picked this bike no other 2 stroke enduro can touch the milage.ps dont go with aftermarket reeds or you will lose milage, I weight 140 lbs hope this is what you wanted to know Jamminjer
100-1, I would think that's bit lean and that you'd be seizing it up all the time.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Amsoil makes a product thats only recommended at 100:1. I'm sure its fine. Major KIPS clogger I bet. Though I've always thought you can't replace quantity with quality when it comes to oils.

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
KDXFRK,

I have a KDX and a 4stroke and the KDX definitely has the shorter range - not by much. Certainly, that can be easily cured with some sort of extra tank.

As for comparisons with the KLX300, it won't compete .......... as for the WR250, it is stiff competition indeed!

There are plenty of different pipe guards out there to protect the expansion chamber. The 4 stroke engines are usually wider and all these bikes have radiators that can break in an instant. If you were talking Honda XR - that might be a little different.

Top Bottom