How many miles is consider alot?

SCUBA

Jun 23, 2005
How many miles is considered alot?

I'm looking at a DRZ400S that has around 2100 miles. Am told (seller seems very honest) that the miles are mostly on the road and were easy. What is considered high miles for one of these bikes? I'm getting back into on/off road bikes after years away and only doing street riding. If I do just casual off road stuff with this bike, will I need to do any major engine work or just change the fluids regular?
Thanks.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
2,100 miles is low assuming they are "average miles" If they are all at the redline, they are a lot. If they are on the road and light trails, it's low.

Take a good look at the bike, that will tell you a lot about those miles. Post a picture if you need some help.

SCUBA

Jun 23, 2005
Thanks. The bike looks like new. It is a 2003 model. A very light scratch on the top of the rear fender. Maybe from something rubbing over it. The back tire is worn down much, probably pass inspection, but near the wear marks. The front tire is not worn hardly as much. The sprocket doesn't look worn much. I was told by the seller that the carb has been rejetted to get rid of a flat spot in the response. Other than that, it appears stock. I was wondering how many miles you get out of a rear tire? I checked the oil and it was full to the mark and clean. Overall the bike is very clean. Not scratched up anywhere that I can see except the fender and that ain't much. I'm sure nothing like it will look after I've owned it a while and ridden it off-road some. Started with the bump of the button and ran smooth. I drove it around and it shifted fine. Had lots of power. I didn't really get on the throttle much. Mostly putted around a bit. Really tall bike. I'm around 6'-2", but am tall from the waist up. Still, I could touch the ground ok, but it is a tall sitting bike. I like the bike. Just want it to last a while and not need anything major. I know buying used is a gamble.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
SCUBA said:
I was wondering how many miles you get out of a rear tire?

Knobby's (even DOT knobbys) don't last too long on pavement. I'd say 1,000 miles. A new knobby works well in the dirt, but poorly on pavement. A worn knobby works well on the street and is all but useless in the dirt. Luckily there are a few miles where all seems to work well.

SCUBA said:
I know buying used is a gamble.

Not really with a bike like the DRZ, they're bullet proof. If you found a clean bike that's a good runner, chances are you've found a bike that will give you good service.

Make the guy an offer and get into the dirt!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Check the air filter, check the oil, check the spark plug, if they are nasty, and I mean no matience ever nasty, then you should walk away......

Top Bottom