rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
All right, I admit it, I was a moron.

I was itching to ride and had nothing better to do yesterday so I loaded up the bike and headed out to Carnegie, a nearby state vehicle recreation area (SVRA).

First mistake: it was 104 degrees out there. It was insane to even load the bike up.

Second mistake: I didn't have a riding buddy. I figured Carnegie was crowded enough that if something happened someone would come along.

Third mistake: I didn't have a camelpack or other form of water.

Fourth Mistake: I didn't carry my fanny pack with tools and such.

Fifth Mistake: doing all the above at an area I had no experiece with.

I started riding about noon, would ride for 30 minutes or so and then come back to the truck for refreshment and rest. It was about 2:00 PM when I headed out for the last time.

This area is unlike any other I have ridden: the ground is very hard packed with a loose sprinkle on top. This makes it very slippery! Downhill was a bitch as even a light tap on the brake would lock the rear wheel up and then there wasn't enough traction to get the engine to start turning again.

I was climbing this one hill, nothing serious about it except I started loosing traction about half way up. I would slide back on the seat to get more weight over the rear wheel but then the tire would get a bite and the front wheel would lift. I bounced back and forth a few times and then just lost it.

It was a minor fall, hardly worth mentioning. I picked the bike back up, drug the front wheel downhill, hopped on and started riding back down. I shifted up to 3rd gear to bump start it (any lower gear would just lock the rear wheel).

The bike would not start.

I had a pretty long run with the engine turning a pretty good clip but it simply would not fire.

I get down off the steep part and start pushing the bike along the trail. I would occasionally get to a downhill area that I could hop on and ride, and couple times more I tried bump starting it. No go.

I was hot, I was tired, I was thirsty.

And then I get to a fork in the road. Off to the right is a single track that heads down the hill. To the left is a wider trail that goes up, probably a 20 foot elevation gain, moderate slope. I figure the single track shortcuts the wide trail and rejoins down the hill.

That was the 6th stupid mistake. First part of that assumption was correct, it does rejoin. But it made a sharp loop down and then steep back up, and now I am in a spot that is not well traveled.

I would push the bike a few feet and rest a few minutes. Another few feet and another rest. I had my helmet hanging from the handlebars.

Then I dropped the bike. I just got dizzy and couldn't hold it. It just tipped over and lay there, but the helmet went bouncing down the hill about 50 feet.

I gave up. I was too tired to even pick the bike back up so I let it lay there and I walked up the hill to a point where I could see several trails. Then I sat down and waited. And waited. And waited.

It was about 45 minutes before someone came by, a dad with his small son on a trail ~ 200 feet away. I waved, he waved back and kept going.

I was a little discouraged with that.

About 15 minutes later he returns, however, with the calvery! A ranger on a bike, another on a quad and a third in a SUV.

I must have been a bit incoherent at this point because I had a hard time explaining that I didn't really crash I was just exhausted from pushing the bike. The rangers got me some water and after a few minutes we walked down to where my bike was laying. One ranger walked down the hill to retrieve my helmet and then they helped me back to the SUV (I couldn't hardly even walk at that point). A few minutes sitting in the air conditioning and another bottle of water and I started feeling like I might survive.

They had to get another ranger to bring a truck up to load the bike up. Meanwhile they took me down to their station to check me out and file an "event" form. They took my pulse, blood pressure, checked my pupils, etc. BP was okay, pulse was racing but coming down. When the forth ranger got back with my bike he took me to my truck and even helped me load the bike into my own truck.

It was about 4:30 at this point. I slowly loaded the rest of my gear and drove home.

I think that a camel pack is going to be high on the wish list. I think I might also figure out a way to put a spare plug and wrench fastened to the bike so I can't ride off and forget it. And I think I have admit that at 52 years old I shouldn't be riding in 104 degree heat and that I seriously need to start doing more aerobic exercising.

Anyone live in the San Jose, California area that needs a riding buddy?

Rod McInnis

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Been there myself.... once and never again. I ended up sucking the sweat out of my jersey (yeah it was nasty). If I don't have a planned buddy I don't go. If I don't have some form of hydration I pick up a bottle of water on the way and zip-tie it to the bike. Once stupid not planning to be lucky twice.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wow...... At least you didn't have to go to work! :nener:

That sounds like the definition of a crappy day. Glad to hear you got help before you had a heart attack or something.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
good to see you got out of there ok, it could of been a lot worse. A camelbak is a must when riding in any type of heat, let alone just riding at any point. Here in AZ I dont think I would make it 2 miles without one. I got a decent camebak that i paid $50 for at a Sports Chalet, has a 2 liter pack plus two carrying areas that are zipped up. I carry extra plugs, some snacks, phone, camera and tools all in the bag and it has saved me a few times when out in the middle of nowhere. If you get this type of camelbak I would say make sure you try to get one that has a waist strap on it, I dont even know its there when its on because it barely moves. Good luck and try not to get any more ideas like this one!!!

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Rod-

Scary business!! (Hmmm. What was that you told me about riding alone?? Oh yeah that was one of the rule violations above....) I'm so glad you are okay.

Rest up.

Magic-Man-150

Sep 3, 2008
wow. my dad had a bad situation like this a few weeks ago. we were riding our first time and he couldnt start my brothers bike and he got all dizzy and pissed and he started dropping the f-bomb. it was suprizing, because he doesnt ever say that. heat exhaustion is a bitch.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would like to say how nice the park rangers were. I really got the feeling that they were "one of us" and there to help instead of hassle.

I also wish I could have thanked the guy who brought the rangers back to me.

Rod

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
That story makes me want to get a camel back too. It makes me worry when me and my friend, and sometimes his dad goes riding at parks like this. You could get lost, and then you're screwed if you don't have any water. Being lost sucks. To bad I had to learn it the hard way.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Yeah I think I want one of those water bags!! The ONLY thing that has saved me from this situation is pure luck. I've also considered tying a pair of tennis shoes on my bike for pushing it or a long walk back to the truck. I'm 47 now and I'll bet I couldn't push my bike up some of the creek banks I ride through, especially with boots on.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
If you've ever been on troll trail at hollister then you'll know why my dad wanted to strangle me/curl up and die. For the last ride of the day I said something along the lines of " hey, why don't we do a wee bit of single track before we go" it was hot, it was techinical, and it was never ending after a long day of riding. Anyway, not sure where I was going with that one, but I live smack dab in the middle of san jose. And I can only go riding when the clouds part and god tells my dad to give me the keys to the truck (this phenomena is seldom seen) So shoot me an email if you ever need someone to go with. If I am alive, I will always be in to go riding. stumanarama@gmail.com

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
stumanarama said:
If you've ever been on troll trail at hollister then you'll know why my dad wanted to strangle me/curl up and die.
<snip>
If I am alive, I will always be in to go riding. stumanarama@gmail.com

I am looking for a riding partner, but not sure I should ride with you....

What's your dad doing this weekend?

Rod

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Glad to hear you got out safe, that could of ended really poorly.

Body of UFC's Evan Tanner found in desert

By Debbi Baker
UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

11:07 a.m. September 9, 2008

Officials on Tuesday confirmed that a body found in a remote area of the Imperial County desert was that of former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder Evan Tanner of Oceanside.
Preliminary reports indicate Tanner, 37, died of heat exposure, said Imperial County Sheriff's Lt. George Moreno. An autopsy to determine the exact cause of death was scheduled for Tuesday.

Tanner had gone to the area about 60 miles northeast of Brawley, in the Clapp Springs area of the Palo Verde mountains, on a solo camping trip Wednesday, authorities said. A helicopter pilot from Marine Corps Air Station Yuma spotted the body on Monday several miles from his campsite, which was located Sunday.
The mixed-martial arts fighter drove to the area Wednesday on a dirt bike that he had recently purchased, said John Hayner, Tanner's manager from San Clemente.

That afternoon, Tanner called to say the bike had run out of gas and that he was going to walk. The fighter told the friend he had spotty cell phone service and was surprised he was able to make a call.

When concerned friends did not hear from Tanner again, they reported the fighter missing on Friday, Hayner said. The fighter was camping several miles into the desert and probably didn't realize how far out he was, the agent said.

“He pushed himself extremely hard as a mixed-martial arts fighter,” Hayner said. He surmised Tanner would have thought he could endure anything including “a couple of miles in the sun.”

Temperatures spiked to 114 degrees that day, authorities said.

Several agencies participated in the search including the Imperial County sheriff's search-and-rescue team, the Marines, the California Highway Patrol and the Border Patrol.

An avid outdoorsman, Tanner assured people who questioned the safety of his trip that he would be fine.

Tanner had fought for about 15 years in some 42 bouts and was still an active member of the UFC, Hayner said. His last fight was just two months ago in Las Vegas.

He rose to the top of the sport – a combination of martial arts, boxing and wrestling – in 2005 when he defeated David Terrell in the first round to win the UFC middleweight championship.

Originally from Amarillo, Texas, Tanner moved about six months ago to a home across from the beach in Oceanside and had taken up surfing.

“Evan Tanner was not a fighter. Evan Tanner was an adventurer and an explorer who happened to also be a fighter,” his manager described him.

In an entry on his Spike TV blog dated August 16, Tanner called his trek to the desert a “treasure hunt” and later explained he was referring to the beauty of the geography he expected to see, Hayner said.

In that same blog entry, Tanner wrote:

“And to think, there are still places in the world where man has not been, where he has left no footprints, where the mysteries stand secure, untouched by human eyes. I want to go to these places, the quiet, timeless, ageless places, and sit, letting silence and solitude be my teachers.”

Hayner said Tanner is survived by a brother and his mother. Funeral arrangements are pending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debbi Baker: (619) 293-1710; debbi.baker@uniontrib.com

BradLackeyJr

Aug 9, 2008
Guys and gals - here is a sad story for you. I ride alone, knowing that it is not a good idea, every weekend - sometimes several times a week. I simply do not know of or have any buddies that want to ride that often or at all really! Every now and then a guy from work will dust off his ride and make the trip out to the trails but this turns into a "why isn't my [poorly maintained, neglected] bike starting ... or dying ... or handling so piss poor ... or some other whining complaints ... " I seriously would rather take my chances out on the trail. I have looked for local clubs but there are none. There are some riding groups in an area about 150 miles from me - too far for the frequency of riding I desire.

I go out and have a blast - I try to be as careful as I can, carry a cell phone and water.

I live in fear of just what you describe, rmc_olderthandirt. So far so good. It's been several years of constant riding.

There are some MX tracks in the area but very few - for that reason they are too crowded for any decent practice. The trails I now ride are about 50 miles from the house and 2000 acres of rocky, hilly paths through the woods and fields.

I gotta ride ... I refuse to lose that fun due to lack of partners. I take the risk.

BLJ

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I've got a similar story to that, in Carnegie as well.

One of my first times riding there and I went down a side path on Pottery Loop. It was, I'd guess, about 100 degrees outside and I didn't have a camelbak with me. At the time I was riding an 88 YZ250 that was notorious for being hard to kick over. Came down a slope and ate it. I tried to kick it over for a good 25 minutes, sweating like a bitch, I then tried to push it uphill. Big mistake! I almost fainted after 10 minutes. My vision got real blurry and I kind of just collapsed. I sat there for almost a half hour on my back until I got some energy to get to a main road and a ranger on a quad drove by and noticed me. He gave me some water and helped me get my bike on to the main path where I was able to bump start it and get back to my car.

Moral of the story: always have a camelbak, it'll save your life.

Top Bottom