Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
Originally posted by MBFTY

That only works if you have a cell phone and you know where your at. I usually have neither :confused:

If I did happen to have a phone my description would be like "Umm. Theres some trees, and some sand... I saw a canal a while back":eek:

I have mounted a GPS on my handlebars. Now for only $150 I know where I am, where I am going, what speed, and directon and much more. If I have to call for help I will count the $150 as very well spent. Kinda like cheep insurance!:D

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I ride solo all the time no phone, just me myself and I. But it's hard to meet people to ride with when you had weekdays off. Nice to have the area pretty much to myself but I can't get crazy enough. Now that I have a weekend day off I hope I can meet up with some people to ride with. It's getting so boring ridding by myself now.

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
Originally posted by Rogue

I have mounted a GPS on my handlebars. Now for only $150 I know where I am, where I am going, what speed, and directon and much more. If I have to call for help I will count the $150 as very well spent. Kinda like cheep insurance!:D

Hey Rogue where did you get that GPS and what name brand. I want one too but I know nothing about them!

Thanks

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by Ol'89r

A few years ago I was out by myself and ran across a mountain lion that was munching somthing in the middle of the trail.

Ol'89r, we used to live in Lake Mathews which is very close to Corona. There were several occasions when me & my husband would be out on a ride in the woods & see mountain lions, coyotes, deer, buzzards, snakes.....you name it. But, the scariest of all are them mountain lions. They are just too healthy in them neck of the woods & they are not afraid of people.

I don't say stop riding by yourself if that is your only choice, but be careful! :eek:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Re: Huh?

Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I ALWAYS ride alone. I usually wait 'til it's almost dark before I leave. Of course, I usually have a six-pack or two while I'm waiting for sunset. I really enjoy hunting season too, coz it's the only time I get to wear my antlers while I'm riding alone.:silly:

ROTFWL ;)

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Most of my riding has been done alone, but more recently it's changed to about 50/50 alone/group rides. Like some others, I have a gnarly 12 mile loop at my back door, which is where I ride when I'm by myself, usually during the week. It pretty much falls into the catagory of "better than nothing", and is mostly for practise.

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001

I have a 33 mile long loop that goes around my town. It makes for a nice long day of comfortable crusing. It passes all the major riding areas... So much fun

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I joined a local club so that I would not have to ride alone. The clubs land is really far away from anyone and If I get hurt I would be a while before someone finds me. At least till the weekend or maybe next winter. IF I go out on a weekend there is usually people there to ride with. If I do get out there and there is no one there I stay close to the truck and keep a cell phone with me. At least I could phone a member and they could let someone know how to get were they could maybe locate me. I would have to be by helicopter because the front gate is locked and a ambuliance would not be able to get in.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Danman
I would have to be by helicopter because the front gate is locked and a ambulance would not be able to get in.

At the track where I ride it's the rule to leave the gate open when ever anyone is riding so an ambulance or EMT can gain access. I'm sure everyone else lets someone know when they are going riding. I always tell someone, even if it's the ex-wife, when I'm going and call as soon as I leave. If I don't call soon after dark or when ever I say I will call, my cell is either ringing or I have a nasty message on it for not calling when I get into the truck.

It is a lot more fun to ride with someone even if I have a hard time keeping up at times. I find that riding does take my mind off the hassels of day to day but I don't need complete solitude to get relief, my solitude comes from staying focused enough to stay on the bike so I don't have to ride alone to unwind.

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Yes

Riding a bike is a much better way to unwind than some other ways people use...

I know I cant function the upcoming week unless I get my riding in on Sunday. Thats my thing. I gotta ride, its like a habit. The whole upcoming week goes to crap if I dont.

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
I would never stay sane if I did not ride when I wanted to. I ride everyday (or have been for a while). I sometimes go to the big motorcycle park in Florida but that place is way to crowded for me. I rode today with about 8 people around a great wooded area with lots of lakes and hidden trails. I absolutely loved it. We had a great time and we have plans to go again friday and saturday. All this is 4 minutes by bike from my house. Just luck I guess.

Peace

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
In answer to the GPS ouestion:
The best system for our purpose is the Garmin E-Trex with the handlebar mount. The cost is about $145 total. The best way to buy is to go to the Garmin site and buy online. This system does much more than most people think!

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
NEVER

I never ride alone!!! I used to back when I first started riding... but after I saw quite a few broken bones and some other serious injuries (to myself and others) - that changed my mind real quick. I think Penguin's experience is a perfect one to realize how NOT smart this is. You can ride as safe as you want... but something freak can always happen. I once had a brake line get caught in my front tire and went flying. Another time my throttle stuck wide open and I went flying, again. It doesn't have to be your fault... but things can happen.

If I'm dying to ride and no riding buddies are around - I'll grab anyone and bring them along (bribe them with lunch or something) and tell them "If you don't hear my bike for a while - come and find me" :confused:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I ride alone almost 95% of the time. When ever i see some one else riding, i usually go over and say hi and hopefully find some riding buddies. Some times my friends come, but none of them have bikes so it's 1 bike for 2 people which kind of sucks.

dhmskate

Dec 4, 2000
Always go alone but some time tag alng with ither dirtrider members.:cool: I usually hit gorman alone on a day off or run into people up there and ride with them. If anyone wants to meet up some time email me

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
I ride by myself about 50% of the time. Sometimes because I,m a Weds. rider and no one available and sometimes just enjoy the solitude and trying to out run the bike I hear that is not realy there, but that makes it interesting. If see someone there I will usually try to link up. That,s how I found this forum. Have been hurt by myself but thank the Lord i've been able to get back.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Woodsguy-I've 'heard' that same bike chasing me sometimes when I'm out riding alone! The scariest thing is, sometimes it's a 4-stroke. (I ride a 2-smoker.) It definately makes me run harder.:p

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
I've done it a couple of times when I can go during a friday afternoon and no one else can get off work. There is a trail system in CO, Rampart Range, that I will do it at. I leave my wife a map marked with the trail numbers I will ride. I always do the same trails when I go alone. If I don't call by night time, she has intructions to call the forrest service to come find me. But many times there is always someone out there to hook up with or at least will ride by sooner or later if something was to happen.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Yeah Baby! Rampart Range, my favorite place in Colorado. Broke my wrist on Scottys Rock when I did a backwards endo after stalling near the top. If not for a guy I met the night before who was showing me around, I'd probably still be there. That's one time I'm glad I had someone to ride with.

XR650Rider

Jan 10, 2001
YES

I ride in remote areas alone all of the time. If you keep in mind that there are no hospitals nearby, you won't ride like a fool. I carry a backpack and a pistol. I usually ride in one place for a couple of days, then move on. Have a reliable(new) bike and truck. Carry tools and all of the other goodies. Be trained in survival and medical skills. Enjoy the time you spend where few people will go. Take another crazy friend if you can.

I too have had fun with mountain lions. They are not afraid to come after you. I had a nice face to face with a big tom in Utah last year. I was riding on a trail with tall grass on both sides. He jumped over the trail and into the grass on the downhill side. I put the kickstand down and got on the other side of the bike. He left before he got shot. I didn't want to ride past him. If a mutt will chase a car, a 200 LB lion will chase your bike. While that cat was just laying there watching me in the grass, I was figuring out how to put a hound dog box on my 650.

Black bears are fun too. I have had a few pop out in N. CA. Usually on night rides or around dusk. Oh, and let's not forget the time I was on an island in Alaska and had a Brownie take my Sitka Blacktail Deer away from me. Never knew a LT230 could go so fast.

Life is an adventure. I am sure the horseback riders on the pony express didn't have their mom along to hold their hands. Old miners made a lot of those roads in Nevada with crappy 2 WD pickups. Ranchers live their whole lives in remote locations. Get over it.

Be prepared as best you can and know your limitations. Besides, you could get creamed by an 89 Mercury like the guy I saw last week that was in one of our safest cities.....

KDK :cool:

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Re: YES

Originally posted by XR650Rider
Life is an adventure. I am sure the horseback riders on the pony express didn't have their mom along to hold their hands. Old miners made a lot of those roads in Nevada with crappy 2 WD pickups. Ranchers live their whole lives in remote locations. Get over it.

Well said. I too end up riding alone due to having days off in the middle of the week when all the 9 to 5er's are working. I have always been religous when it comes to the maintenance on my bike, I always carry tools, and when riding alone I don't push the limits like I would during a group ride or race.

It all comes down to common sense, when riding alone ride within your ability.

matt in Clovis
97 KLX300

Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
I'm surprised at how many others ride alone. Between busy weekends with the kids, and trails too crowded with squids, I enjoy a solo ride during the week. I know the risks, and ride below race pace, but there is no better way to get in a work-out, and blow-off the stresses of the day than a long ride.
If anyone else can get away for a ride M-F, in the Ganaraska Forest, please send me a note.

DAVE

Top Bottom