Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I like to ride with others, yet know almost no one to ride with. Since most days I can ride, so I do. Almost always alone. On my frequent tries on tougher and tougher hills getting stuck is a bit of an adventure. Especially since my left leg is so bad. Any other lone wolves out there?:)

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I fit that description, lone ranger type;) I make sure to pack cell phone and tools in my bag of tricks when riding. Allthogh I don't think AAA will tow bikes 30 miles out of woods. Gotta say DRN helps with hooking up with other riders.

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i ride alone most of the time too, fortunately, i have about 8 miles of trail right behind my house, and a loving wife, so if there ever comes a time when i don't come back, at least i will have someone to come look for me!

thats why i look forward to races, at least you have someone to ride with then.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Yeah, I'd be one of them loner types. Not by choice tho. I am just able to ride when most people aren't. I usually have the entire riding area to myself.
Wheather it's here at home, in N.M., or Colorado or where ever. Not many people ride during the week days. And I've had my share of get offs and laid in the bottom of a ravine somewhere until I felt good enough to get back on and continue. I don't see this practice being any different in the future. I'll continue to ride alone simply because if I don't, I won't get to ride at all.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I quit riding by myself about 15 years ago when I was out practicing one day after a rain storm hit some unexpected mud on the trail and hit a tree. I was knocked unconcious, broke my nose, ruptured a sinus cavity and broke my eye socket. I don't know how long I lay out there before some folks on 4 wheelers found me and carried my hurt butt out of the woods and got me to a hospital. It took 6 months before I healed up enough to get back on a bike and i still have trouble with severe sinus infections and headaches from my injuries.. You take a great risk when riding by yourself, but I understand some people just don't have anyone to ride with. You might consider joining a local motorcycle club and making some new friends, it's what i did.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I almost always ride alone. Like the others here, I don't do it by choice. I generally go for a ride right when I get home from work. I have a small loop directly across the street from my house. I won't go off into the powerlines by myself though. I don't want to be in the same position as penguin was.

I wish I could find someone near me who would go for a ride after work. My wife wouldn't have to worry quite as much.

With any luck, this post will get me in touch with some people in my area who are looking for riding partners.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
That would be me too. The places I've been riding seem pretty popular though so hopefully someone would come along if I wrecked, I wouldn't think of riding on a weekday though who knows if anybody would come by.but I used to when I was younger. I did meet up with some people I know riding 4 wheelers though and may go out with them once in a while(have to ride with somebody!);) Now if I can talk them into all wearing helmets so I don't end up having to drag them out of the woods:eek:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
One more loner here too.
Not always, but about 80% of the time.
Sometimes i'll start out alone, then run into (not literally people.....) someone who needs assistance or is taking a breather, b.s. for a while, and end up riding for a while with them.
("you meet the nicest people on a Honda" <--- old Honda slogan.)
:)
Most times i enjoy the solitude of riding solo, enjoying the scenery, and getting the stuffing beat out of me by "ol' Flash". :eek:
Sometimes a little company would be welcolmed though....... :(

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I ride alone about 80% of the time, and it's boring! There's something about sharing a good ride with others. Besides, when I'm out by myself, I can't get too crazy, so it's more like practice: I work on cornering speed, or braking. I don't venture too far from home when I'm alone. When I can hook up with a couple other guys we can do the 'extreme' rides, and we tend to push each other. I'm not much of a jumper, but there's something about the pack mentality that will make you try stuff when you're in a group, and you test yourself. Riding alone means little risk taking is allowed. Besides, when I finally did the double, who would have believed it if they weren't there!

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Well, I generally dont go out of lone rides by myself anymore. My quad is so unreliable, thats as soon as I get to the furthest part of the trail, and to the turn around point, it WILL break.

It happened to a friend and I when were were out riding his quad double (stupid!). We were about 18 miles from his house when the chain started coming off, and wouldnt stay on. We ended up walking 18 miles through deep sugar sand and along blacktop roads back to his house. We even passed a group of people in a truck out off-roading. They wouldnt let us use their phone or give us a ride...:o I wanted to just kill them and take their truck!

It was during a drought, so we couldnt even drink canal water... it was all dried up. That was the most miserable day of my life...

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
If you ride a Honda you can join the Honda Riders Club. It is like AAA for Hondas. They say if a tow truck can get to you they will come to your dirtbike. Even if you just ran out of gas. :cool:

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I was a lone ranger until one day on the trail I saw this guy upside down in a river trying desperatly to flip his bike over. I threw my bike down and jumped in to give him a hand. Took 3 hrs to get that thumper started, anyway I found out that he rode every weekend like me so we started meeting in the parking lot @ 10:00 every Saturday. Since then we have added a couple of semi dedicated stragglers to the group that show up on occasion. It's definatly better riding in a group it's nice to know that if you break down or crash that someone will be there to help you.:)

DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
Yep,thats me,I usually ride alone when I do the exporing long weekend type off trips,I do carry a little more in my pack in case I get in trouble but the best prevention I try to do is keep my bike in top condition.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I used to ride alone until a buddy started to come out with me. Now he is the owner of a 96 KX250. I just hassled him until he got a bike :) So now, we have something fun to do together, I don't have to share my bike, and he thanks me everyday for hounding him :)
Its just so much more fun when you get to roost someone on a regular occasion....

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I tend to do this more than I should. I live next to a forest and it is very tempting to go out for a couple hours in the late afternoon before dark.

A few years ago I was out by myself and ran across a mountain lion that was munching somthing in the middle of the trail. He saw me coming and started to run away. He wasn't running very fast, in fact, he didn't seem to worried about me following him at all. After a short distance, I realized, he could just turn around and eat me. I slowed down and he slowed down. I stopped and he stopped. I started to turn around and he started to turn around.
We were not very far apart and I thought to myself, I had better get the heck out of here or all they will find is a pile of mountain lion poop with bits and pieces of red plastic and nylon in it.

I don't recommend riding alone, but, sometimes you just got to ride. I do tell my wife what area I will be riding in, at least they will know where to find the body.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Lion met his match

The Lion wasn't moving too quickly because he realized he couldn't outrun Ol'89r anyway. A standoff was his only option. ;)

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by Rogue
If you ride a Honda you can join the Honda Riders Club. It is like AAA for Hondas.

That only works if you have a cell phone and you know where your at. I usually have neither :confused:

If I did happen to have a phone my description would be like "Umm. Theres some trees, and some sand... I saw a canal a while back":eek:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Holeshot. I don't think he wanted to outrun me, I think he wanted to eat me. By the way, can you bring Suzy over here, I have a major gopher problem.:confused:

Jun 17, 2000
I simply like to be with myself. When I was ten mother would see me with my fishing pole walking out the door, and exclaimed: "Whay are going alone, especially with this rain?" Two weeks ago I celebrated my 39th birthday by going up north to CC camp, near Upper Lake, with my trustful XR400. I rode for 6 hours and logged 70 miles. At times I was singing "Happy Birthday" aloud just to myself.
Yes, there is fear, yes, I am cautious; and no, I do not have a cell phone. Somewhere inside I believe that we take more serious and daunting risks in life than riding a bike alone in the woods.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If I ever going to the track (MX) and no one else is around, I usually setup some cones and practice the boring stuff like tight cornering at slow speeds and sliding into corners and powering out. I have pulled into the track area a couple of times to find someone laid out waiting for help because their broken bones wouldn't support their busted up bodies enough to drag themselves to the truck to use the cell phone. I've got a kid that depends on me at home and can't afford to be too foolish :think

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
I ride alone out here by my house. I go out in the woods and I have a cell phone on me. I call the wife every 30 minutes and she pretty much knows where I am. If I dont call she comes out in the truck lol but I have never missed a call. I do sometimes hook up with some people who have found my spot :)

They are on 4 wheelers so they have trouble keepin up but hell I just enjoy the ride. It is great to ride with others. Everytime I go out there I hope to see someone new or someone I know playing around, its safer and a hell of alot more fun!

Be safe

klx352

Aug 12, 2000
I to ride alone most of the time .Most of my freinds are moto heads and dont
tend go in the woods unless thay have to. I like to ride alone ,it gives me
time to think{and crash}The wife hates it
Also i ride 18 miles a day to work BY DIRT BIKE---- ALONE
life is good

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Huh?

I ALWAYS ride alone. I usually wait 'til it's almost dark before I leave. Of course, I usually have a six-pack or two while I'm waiting for sunset. I really enjoy hunting season too, coz it's the only time I get to wear my antlers while I'm riding alone.:silly:

I did my last solo ride about six years ago. I fell pretty hard and gashed/twisted my knee. It was 10 miles back to civilization, and I thought I was gonna bleed to death before I got back. Call me skeered.

Besides, here in Bambalamba you don't do anything alone. The locals call it "no witnesses".:eek:

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
Besides, here in Bambalamba you don't do anything alone. The locals call it "no witnesses

LMFAO!

That was funny man all but the falling part.

:p

Top Bottom