CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
My hands get really cramped when riding my new 2 stroke. Probably b/c I'm hanging on so tight. I keep each index finger on a lever at all times. I wish I could keep two on them but that doesn't give me enough grip (strength-wise) or leave me enough room/freeplay to turn the throttle. :think: I just can't make two fingers work - it only leaves two to hang onto the bars with (not enough).

How should I be doing this? Is it better to use the middle finger? Would this be less taxing on my hands (esp. right hand)? Is two fingers do-able or unreasonable? Thanks

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I've taken the street bike class, where they tell you to always cover your clutch and brake. In my opinion, for off-road riding or racing, I don't think it's neccesary. When you need to hold on tight, use your whole hand. When you need to slow down or clutch it, grab the lever w/ both fingers.

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Yeah I never keep my front brake covered, it's not really neccesary, and like you said, it causes problems as far as throttle usage goes.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
hmmm.... I had the opposite problem. I only kept my index finger on the bars and I had all 4 other fingers on the levers, I felt more comfortable that way but my hands cramped up so bad that I would almost crash cause I couldn't grab the levers to stop. So I had to teach myself to ride the opposite, normal way ( with just the index finger on the levers) and I have found that If I alway keep my index finger on the levers it keeps my hands from cramping. Whnever I sense myself tencing up I have to keep telling myself to grip with my legs instead of my hands and to loosen up my grip.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
good point soquel, I never cover any of my levers, I know it's bad form but I havn't gotten that talent down yet either, I can only imagine that covering your brake could get you into trouble at times due to unwanted pressure on the lever,
Just a thought
Jeff

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I rest my index finger lightly on the brake lever 90% of the time. I hang on with everything in the whoops though, especially because this would be a bad time to accidently tap the front brake!
With a 360 there's no hurry in getting to the clutch, so it's just a matter of rotating two fingers up when needed.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I also like to keep my index fingers only on the clutch and brake most of the time. I have the perches moved in as far as they go so the ball on the end of the lever is in index finger position. Shorty levers may help, as well as experimenting with the lever height and bar position.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Slightly OT reply to Los: Covering the clutch and brakes in the MSF class was only for practice in beginning stages of your riding. For normal street riding, you shouldn't cover either unless riding in an environment with obvious hazards (i.e. kids playing on the side of road, approaching car at intersection, etc.)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
On a 125, I like to keep my middle finger on the clutch at all times. Feathering is part of 125 life. The index finger is the stongest digit, so one may want to consider always having it on the bars.
If I am feathering the front brake, like in a rutted corner, I like to use just one finger, usually the middle. Other than that I like to keep my fingers off the front until I need it for hard braking. I find myslef always using the index and middle together in that situation.
Jack, if I were you, I'd try to use my middle fingers for levers. But it usually boils down to what makes you feel best.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I did an enduro yesterday on my new 250. I was nearing the top of a very rocky climb & accidently got a handful. The front wheel came up over my head & I wheelied it 10-15 yards. I'm not sure how I got it back down, but I suspect it was the clutch. I remember thinking this bike will hurt me if I'm not careful - so I surely don't regret covering the controls. I doubt I would have saved it otherwise.

The index finger is the stongest digit, so one may want to consider always having it on the bars. ... try to use my middle fingers ...

Jaybird, that's exactly what I was thinking. Hanging on w/o the index finger can really wear out the hands. Middle finger seems like a good trade-off. I'll give that a shot. Thanks, I was looking to see if anyone else was using that technique.

Bud - Of course! - adjusting the bar/control positioning to minimize the stretch - good point here.

Fred (ktmboy) - The whoops - I've never had a problem with that (accidently grabbing brake) but I guess it's something to consider. I'm usually much more concerned with grabbing too much throttle.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I use the middle finger on the front brake. light pressure is all that is needed, most of the time. I try to use the middle finger on the clutch, but find myself using index and middle when power shifting. For trail riding, I find it best to cover the front brake w/the middle finger and lightly use it to slow down. hard stops, I use two fingers and rear brake.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
I use my index finger on both hands to pull my clutch and brake lever..

I believe that it's necessary to keep a finger on both levers at all times because it keeps you in control, no matter what.. If you want to hold on tight because you lost control, dig your knees into the tank and it will work significantly better then squeezing your palms around the bars and suffering from arm pump :)

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
I was having really bad cramping in my hands so I got better gloves, learned the importance of keeping a finger on the clutch, and loosened my grip
AW

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I wasn't going to say anything, but when reading Jack's description of the hill climb I got to thinking and I realized when I hit a hill climb, I have both hands fully on both grips, hanging on for dear life sometimes too, but when I need the clutch I always seem to be on it. I don't generally need the front brake :D

But then again, I don't need the clutch a whole lot during a hill climb due to what I ride as you can see in the tagline

FoxRacing023

Mar 29, 2002
i couldnt make myself hold on to the bars with my whole hand, ive always got my index finger on the brake and 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch(depending on the stifness) heck, i even do this on my bicycle lol, its a good habit to have.

see whats comfortable by having at least 1 finger on each lever, ride at a relaxed pace and build your confidence, you dont need your whole hand to hang on the bike unless you're fighting with it which, btw, creates armpump. (dont force the bike to do everything) just guide it

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
It's all personal preference and I know that most of you don't race, but show me a picture of 1 professional motocrosser that covers their front brake while going wide open up a jump, landing from a jump or going wide open down a rough straight. There are plenty of pics w/ them on the brake or clutch going into/out of turns but that's where you need them! I don't ride trails or woods, I just race so maybe I don't understand you guys.
I think that if you have a problem getting to the brake or clutch fast enough when your fingers have to go from the grip to the lever, then you are thinking way too much. When I need to get on the brakes, I pull the lever. When I need to use the clutch, I pull the lever. As long as it's there when I need it, I don't worry about it.

Top Bottom