kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
i was wondering how much air do you carry in your tires.I want suggest .Would a 15 psi at front and 15 psi at rear is good for rocky trails?Lot of rocks here and i am afraid to bent my rims...thanks for replies Phil

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Phil ..... I also live where there are LOTS of rocks. I run 18 up front and 15-16 in the back. I'll still dent the front rim now and then. I think the KDX rims are fairly soft anyway, and anything less is bad for me. That much air pressure will cause them to slide around a little more though, so when you're not riding in rocks, drop it down a couple of pounds.

Good luck .......

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I usually run a good middle of the road 14-15psi it depends on what the temp & terrain is like on the riding day.

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
my owners manual says 10-14 psi 10 for muddy conditions 14 for dry and rocky i usually run a 13 psi in dry and 11 in muddy conditions seems good enough for me

rc331

Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by rc331
Dunlop reccomends 14 p.s.i minimum and 18 p.s.i maximum :confused:

dirtryder72 Yep you are right in the ball park with those pressures. The 14 min. 18 max was for enduro/desert conditions. Also if the mud is really sticky you want the pressure increased so the tire can clean itself better. Wet slimy mud you want the pressures you mentioned ;)

bwc352

Apr 12, 2002
I run between 10.5 and 12 on MX tracks, and 11.5 to 13 in Hare Scrambles. BTW, they sell an extremely cheap digital air pressure gauge at Walmart that I find extremely useful. Much more accurate than using non-digital. It wasn't until I got the digital gauge that I realized how much impact weather changes had on tire pressure (i.e., a 12 psi tire can be as low as 10 psi the very next day if the weather has changed significantly).

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I run 12 front & rear for all conditions except extreme rocks. I have found that the large dial, professional low pressure automotive gauges are the most accurate. Digital gauges do seem to have consistent readings but may not be super accurate IMO.

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
We run Hare Scrambles in the eastern part of US. Usually run between 10 to 12 psi depending on track conditions. Dry track with rocks, usually 12 psi. On rocky trails that are wet you can get away with 10 or 11 psi because speeds tend to be a little slower when the track is wet. I know that the manufacturers recommend higher pressures, but it'll be like riding a pogo stick. The fact is, there are a lot of opinions on tire pressures. You will have to experiment with different pressures for different terrains to get the feel that suits your riding style.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I'll second Greer Racing's post. Something I've noticed around here given the hotter temps. The higher PSI you run, the more like a pogo stick it is to ride. I tend to ride the same trails a couple of times a month (lack of time to Recon/drive to another riding area), and I've gone from playing "pin-ball" i.e. bouncing from from the left side of the trail to the right side of the trail while climbing hills to riding smooth with only the difference in PSI and temps. Keep an eye on the temps Gent's/Ladies. It could make the difference b/w a crash and burn and a really great ride. :aj:

andy jackson

Jul 8, 2002
i run 11-14psi,have had no problems.but as a suggestion install some heavy duty tubes,the rubber is twice as thick & hence harder 2 punture.michellin,metzler,make them.Would depend on tyre u r running,as different brands r hard in sidewalls etc & flex more.eg mich s12, compaired 2 m70 bridgestone.good luck,happy kdxing!!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've also noticed that the front end really pushes with anything more than about 12 lbs; which is a drag with a bike that is hard to get comfortable forward seating on.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
I've also noticed that the front end really pushes with anything more than about 12 lbs...

Exactly what I see. I run 10 – 10 ½ psi for all conditions. Run a Moose or Bridgestone HD tube to prevent “snake-bite” flats when riding in rocks.

Top Bottom