How much difference? 4 stroke vs 2 stroke

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ok I wanna know.

How much difference in pounds between the yz250f and the yz125

and between the yz400 yz 426 and the yz250

I keep hearing all this weight stuff about the four strokes, but from what I can tell the weight difference is just a few punds 10-20 is it that different. I also heard you can shave some weight by getting some aftermarket stuff like pipes and stuff.

I am super new, but I think I would be better off on a thumper. With the engine breaking and the smoother power I think I would have more fun and spend more time riding , rather than picking myself and my bike off the ground. I am on a 125 but all the feathering and the power band is fun but not very confidence inspiring if you know what I mean.

What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

Riz

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Riz,

I personally own a 250F, prolly weighs about the same as a 250 2-stroke. I have ridden 2-strokes the majority of my life, but this little thing is a blast. Occaisionally I miss the KTM 300 EXC that I had before, but not too often because the majority of what I do is trail riding and it is reasonably tight. What I mean is that there is never a need to open it up all the way so I don't think it suffers in the horsepower dept. cuz I could never use it all on the trails.

For newer riders, my personal opinion is that a 4 stroke is a safe bet, and with current technology we all know that they can be competitve at any level. But, that being said, other excellent beginner bikes are the KDX 200/220.

As far as making the 4-stroke lighter, you can with $$$ thrown at it, but if you are reasonably new as you say, a few extra pounds will probably not make too much difference to you.

Engine braking... well you have been riding that 125 so you would be in for a big difference, I personally like it, but that is just me.

I am sure that you will get plenty of replies with this thread... this particular topic draws many opinions. Did you check the "What bike do I get?" forum. Lots of opinions and info in there.

Good luck and feel free to ask any question that you want, I and I am sure plenty others will give you all the info you need and then some.

MH00

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Thumpers are great to learn on. I just got into riding this year, and a TTR125L was my teacher. I picked up on riding really fast, and now ride a KDX220R. However, I can't imagine learning to ride on the KDX, figuring out 2 stroke powerbands is something to learn after getting the basics down good! Thumpers are a lot of fun to ride, and great in the woods.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by atc3434`
I can't imagine learning to ride on the KDX, figuring out 2 stroke powerbands is something to learn after getting the basics down good! Thumpers are a lot of fun to ride, and great in the woods.
1. IMO KDX is one of the all time easiest bikes to ride on or learn and in general all around good bike. Especially if you have been riding a 125 MXer
2. Thumpers are fun, great in woods, generally less maintenance if you stay away from the likes of the KTM RFS bikes and the YZF. Not a monumental task, but if you are like me, piddling with the bike during the week is half the fun.:)

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
What, maintenance wise, are the differences in a YZ 250 and YZF 426? Cost, more or less? More difficult? I've never ridden, much less worked on, a 4 stroke and since I'm considering it for my next ride I would like to know. Thanks for any help.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Riz, both are lighter than those steeds you are used to riding :silly:

From your profile, I see you ride an RM125 and YZ490, two extremes I see, which one do you prefer ?

Lighter is better, if you can get a light powerful bike then dirt biking is so much more fun, unless you are big, tall and enjoy the heavier off road bikes. As a budding young businessman, reliability and tco is probably what you need to look at, a KTM400RFS EXC may be the bike to look for, the 520 if you like power, definitely go e-start if you want a 4 stroke, the new gen 4-strokes are great. On the other hand, you can pick up a new or relatively new DRZ400E for around 4K. As to the YZ490, you may want to keep that around just for the total fun factor. That bike must really rip.

Also, considering your medical condition, you need to look for a bike that will look after you, e-start 4 stroke is the way to go. If you want a light do it all two stroke, take a look at the new Gas Gas Pampera 280, or GG200EC.

What do you have in mind ?!

Alan

Last edited:

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I kind of like the little extra weight.It makes me feel more stable and controlled.I'm kind of a big guy and it dsen't bother.For racing i don't know if you would like it but woods it dosent bother me.

Top Bottom