hoerter2158

Dec 18, 2007
My buddies got a 2002 crf450r with a fmf pipe, aftermarket triples, and bars. It needs the valves adjusted and i want to know how much its worth.

Also how much is it to get the valves adjusted?

thanks guys

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Have you checked prices people are asking for similar bikes in your area?

Without knowing more than what you posted, I'd say around $2500.. Possibly less.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If he says it needs the valves adjusted, then the reality is it needs the valves replaced. Plan on spending around $500 to properly service the head. Unless it's been done recently it will probably need piston and rings at the same time. You'll also need to find out if he's changed the cam chain tensioner and the water pump shaft, seals, and bearings.

KBB puts it's value at $1900-2700 assuming perfect mechanical condition.

It's a great bike (I've kept my 2002 CRF since day one) but it needs to be maintained properly. Lots of riders sell the bike when it's clear it needs work. Buyer beware. ;)

hoerter2158

Dec 18, 2007
So if i dont have a lot of money i shouldnt buy it? He bought it about 3 years ago and rode it for a year. Its been sitting for the past 2 years. Im sure the carbs need to be cleaned, but other than that i really dont know if it needs vavles.

Well have to see

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
hoerter2158 said:
So if i dont have a lot of money i shouldnt buy it? He bought it about 3 years ago and rode it for a year. Its been sitting for the past 2 years. Im sure the carbs need to be cleaned, but other than that i really dont know if it needs vavles.

Well have to see

With that much time on it you can count on it needing valves. So if you can't afford to fix it, it might be best to keep looking.

hoerter2158

Dec 18, 2007
Let me rephrase taht............ He bought it, has a kids and a wife and rode it maybe 3 times. He never had time to ride it so here it sits. He told me 1700 for it. Which i think is cheap since he rarely rode it.

hoerter2158

Dec 18, 2007
He said it needs the valves redone. He said the valves are fully adjusted out so it will they will need to be redone. Also he told me of a guy that does it in Illinois for all of the race bikes around Wisconsin/Milwaukee. Does anyone know of this place in Illinois? Or does anyone know of where i can ship it out and get it done for around 300 or so?

Top Bottom