B

biglou

We were thinking of renting one of those condominiums on wheels for this year's 'fest. My question is, do you think there will be too many of them or could we squeeze in somewhere? We were there last year so I know how the parking area is laid out. If we can't get one to rent we will be in a hotel. Anything beats the air matress in the back of the truck!

If anyone has any tips on renting one of those behemoths, please post or Email. We would like to drive as close to the site as possible and then rent, as opposed to driving it the entire distance. Thanks in advance.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Okie ,

After last years MWSF2K Wendy went out and bought a motorhome (used) good thing if you've got tons of extra $ - (I don't). Anyway, will you have any kind of layout for motorhome locations? Is it possible to reserve a space prior to arrival to make sure that we've got a spot even if we can't show up on the first day of this years SF?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There is a LOT of room, remember how big the pit area is? We could probably fit 50 motorhomes in there.

I can't reserve spots. First come first served.

B

biglou

Here's one I found in St. Louis, so it's right on the way. The prices don't seem too bad. I am going to call them for some more info. I have never used one of these before so I was wondering how many showers can you get out of them before you run out of water, what's the dumping charge, etc. If you have time to look this over and have any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Louis.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv_rentals/zones/rzone2.asp

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
We could allways do another poll. Campers, tents and motels(ya want to get real friendly with the motel people,bum a shower)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How many showers and water use is related to the size of the holding tank. Last year we had 100 gallons, the showers lasted until the last day. In fact all of the tanks were full by the end.

You can dump the gray water tanks anywhere (on the ground), all it is is shower/sink water, then fill up with water again. The black water tanks have to be dumped, there is a dump station at the facitlity (LTM). Make sure who you rent from includes additional checmicals incase you need to replenish the tanks mid week.

Ask them if they have a unlimited use rate for the generator. Last year we didn't have to use the gen at all, in fact used the heater. Make sure they fill up the propane tank. They SHOULD supply enough of everything to last the length of your trip.

*Please note. There is NOT an electrical connection for everyone to use. Of course, RV's can run lights, etc., on the internal batteries, just let the RV run a couple of times each day. Generators are needed to run microwaves, AC.

As far as how MANY showers, that depends (like I said) on the water tank and how you take the shower. I typically do not leave the water running during the whole shower, soak down, thurn it off, soap up, rinse. It's amazing how little water a shower takes.

There will be a dumping/cleaning charge on return, it cost me (no option) $150 for a Class A 34 footer.

Like anything else, ask them point blank what you could possibly have to pay on return. Ask about hidden charges. Usually, everything is spelled-out in the rental agreement. Read it!!!

Also, ask if there is a discount for early reservation, early payment, etc. I've already done our deal, saved 9% by paying in advance.

Hope that helps. Hopefully Jay (Offroadr) will add to this topic, he is MR. RV (owns his rig).

B

biglou

Thanks, Okie. Believe me, I know all about those showers. Did six and a half months on an aircraft carrier once!! Nothing like the water/jet fuel shower! Those who have been there know what I'm talking about.

I emailed the company and hopefully they will respond. I may try to call them and speek directly to a rep. If it looks like it is going to turn into a fiasco, we may just do the motel thing. One problem with all this is that we might be splitting expenses three or four ways and that can get to be a problem sometimes. Either way, we'll be there somehow.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
The Rv rental fee's seem a little steep Lou!! I think for that kind of money a tent will do me just fine. By the way is there a pond nearby the track? That solves the shower issue. Has anyone heard how the shower design contest is coming along? Is DRN still paying for the materials to the winning design? Hopefully that will work out and the budget travelers will have a way to take a shower.:)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you are planning to have 4 adults in there you had better be sure you like being cozy. It won't allow much room in the night or morning when everyone is inside. Also be sure to check for trailer hitches- the 3 I saw last week none had one. Check around in the local papers for private rentals we have several people in our area that will do that to pay off the rigs.
One thing is the Cruise America rigs seem to be good quality. We had a couple close to us in Florida last week.

B

biglou

That thing was bigger than some houses I've seen. You could fit four baseball teams in there. I thought maybe the Rolling Stones were gonna play for the grand finale ;) .

"All ahead full. Right full rudder."
"Aye, sir."

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Carbon Monoxide and You

I'm not trying to bum you guys out, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the RV has a functioning CO detector.

A Canadian doctor and two of his friends were killed by CO at the USGP last year. They rented an RV and apparently crushed the exhaust pipe of the onboard generator during a u-turn.

The on-board CO detectors didn't work, and the guys never had a chance.

Let's not have any senseless tragedies occur at Casey.

I feel better now...

My friend Geoff and I were fortunate to find a 40 footer for rent in the B'ham area a couple of years ago. This puppy had a washer/dryer, satellite TV, microwave, etc. We spent 24 hours in it with our wives, and no one felt cramped at all.

We have to do CruiseAmerica these days, and they're pretty good. Well worth the moolah.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
Funny, I have no prob fitting 4 people in mine :p
:think
Sure you and scooter add up to 1 of me and then a large dog and the 4th (?) a fair young daughter.
The cramped I refer to is 4 dirty, sweaty, cranky, fueled by Daddy Pops, farting, and very sore guys:rolleyes: . This is directly from Canadian fishing trips in my dads 34 fooot class A.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
The most I have slept is 5 but that was all guys. No one had the floor, so there was room for more :)

I have got 9 showers and normal other water usage from 55 gal.

I have 70 gal in the current rig. If you are conservative on the shower you can go along way.

Grey water tanks are ALWAYS smaller than the water capacity so expect it to fill before the water runs out.

Don't forget to add chemical to BOTH tanks otherwise you'll have a NASTY smell inside by the end of the weekend. :scream:

A little bleach in the grey water tank will work as well.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Was there a water hose at the campers or am I going to have to drag my camper to the office to refill it?

Top Bottom