How much spooge is too much ?

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and did spend a good bit of time looking for a thread/post related to my question before posting here. Lots of good info here and some very helpful posts, but could find nothing on mine. Sorry if I missed it.

I've had a '2000 KDX200 for about 6 months and love it, but from day 1 a lot of spooge would come out at the junction between exhaust pipe and silencer. It covers the swingarm, rear brake, then gets on the tire which throws it everywhere. Is this normal ? The bike is stock except for an airbox mod, running 32:1 927 in premium gas, stock spark plug. I've drained the silencer often but no help. Could it be the rubber bushings between pipe and silencer ? Wasn't sure how much they are supposed to seal. I know all 2-strokes spooge, I just wasn't sure how much is normal. I suspect that I'm running rich, maybe that's at least part of the
problem.

Thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
It sounds like your running rich. I would recommend going to a 40:1 ratio (this will make it richer but less spooge) and lean out your jetting (pilot, needle, main). Check out Justkdx.com which talks about jetting. You may also want to run a hotter plug (BR7ES) if you are just trail riding. The hotter plug will lean it out but make a more complete combustion for easy trail riding. The combination of these actions should minimize any spooge. If you make it too lean it lets you know with a bog. Feels like you are running out of gas for an instance. These mods will give you a boost in power and more responsive throttle if you dial in your jetting.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
If you have alot of spooge that probably means that you are indeed running too rich. I've had two Kaw's myself and they come jetted way rich from the factory. Another thing is that you could be burning tranny fluid if you have a bad seal which is allowing it to enter into the engine. Do you know the history of the bike from previous owners?

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
Thanks, I'll do those mods and see if it takes care of it. As far as the history of the bike, it didn't really have a lot of hours on it and was never raced. But I was unable to get much info on maintainance or any mechanical problems from the previous owners. I suppose it would be pretty hard to diagnose a tranny seal problem if it was a small amount, short of disassembly ?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
For the seal problem you run a leak down test to find that, But I seriously doubt that's what you're dealing with especially if you haven't yet properly jetted your bike. You most likely have a 160 main and a 48 pilot jet. I'd start with a 155 main, 45 pilot, and mix a synthetic oil at 40:1. That'll get you in the ball park assuming that you are running the stock pipe and reeds.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Jetting is most likely the problem and correcting it will do lots for your bike, but it may not eleminate all the spooge problem. I use two screw clamps on the pipe/exaust junction. Now any spooge winds up in or out of the muffler rather than scattered all over the bottom of my bike. Cheers John

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I have been experiencing a bad case of the spooge myself and would benefit from some advice. I have an 01 220 that has RB carb work done on it, FMF gnarly woods pipe, and I get the stuff coming out of the cylinder interface, rubber donut interface, and out of the silencer. It seems to run nice, and the carb is supposed to be "dialed" from RB, but I am getting an excess of oil.

KDteX00

Feb 4, 2006
What mix are you running ? I was previously running 32:1 and changed out 40:1 before re-jetting just to see the difference and it was significant. Noticeably less spooge just with less oil even though running richer. Will re-jet with 155/45 soon and see if that cures most of the problem.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Some spooge is normal depending how and where you ride. If your winding the pajeezis out of it and still getting spooge it needs to be remedied, but oil type, ratio, riding style, location and jetting
all play a roll. Remember if it runs the way you like it, dont fix it. I'd prefer a small amount of spooge rather than none because that way I know I didn't accidentally put the lawnmower gas in it.

jason todd

Feb 6, 2006
jetting

I played round with the jetting on my 89 KDX using the guide on the just kdx web site, I bought a RN1173 needle a 155 main jet and my carb had the a 45 pilot jet standard.I set the needle clip in the middle, fitted the new main jet and set the air screw 1.5 turns out. The engine was so lean at high speed that I was to scared to do a plug run as im sure the engine would have siezed.after a lot of playing round and slowly putting bigger main jets in and changing needle hights I found it went best with the RN1173 needle clip set at second from bottom slot a 160 main jet, 45 pilot jet and air screw 1 turn out, this was with a new oiled filter and the air box lid removed,fuel oil mix 40:1. The bike realy flys and power is so crisp. I am amazed how much power these engines put out for a 200,
Mabe our air presure or something is different here in NewZealand.The 155 main is way to lean over here

Top Bottom