How much would you pay for this bike?

Evader 53

Nov 7, 2007
I'm 16 and have the chance of buying a 1991 cr250 (however the pictures the guy sent me look like an 87); I know it is a big bike and has a lot of power but it is a perfect project bike.

The kicker gears on the bike are all stripped out, and the clutch slips. Bike hasn't been started in over 3 months. What would you say this bike is worth, figuring all the work that needs to be done to it (ie. new sprockets, chain, fork seals, clutch kit, kicker gears, bushings and bearings, and work involved etc. etc..).

I want to learn to fix engines and bikes all together and dont feel like tearing apart my 4-stroke quad engine that has absolutely nothing wrong with it to do so... So i figure I'll start out with a 2-stroker.

What do you guys think the value of this bike is and how much I should offer him?

Thanks.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
{Dr. Evil Voice}1 Million Dollars{/Dr. Evil Voice}

It is hard to say without looking at it or telling how interested you are in the project.

I paid $300 for a broke DT100 b/c it was nostalgic to me. It isn't worth that but it was to me.

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
$300-$500 *if* it otherwise looks to be in good condition. If it doesn't look good otherwise, it is worth nothing considering how much you'll need to put in it.

BTW, if it is an 87, it would have conventional forks (upper tubes go into lowers) while a 91 had upside down forks (lower tubes slide into the uppers)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A buck, two 98.

Be careful. Sometimes, cheap is too much. :nod:

Make sure the gears are ok. Replacing gears can be very expensive. Also, make sure the right side (clutch) cover at the water pump area is not corroded. The side cases on that year model had a lot of magnesium content and if the previous owner used plain water instead of distilled water, there could be a hole eaten through the case. These side cases are very hard to find.

Top Bottom