It would depend on several things:
1) The type of bike
2) the condition of the bike
3) how it is maintained
4) how it is ridden
5) how much it is ridden.

Apr 30, 2007
New rear tire - 80$
Top end rebuild - 100$ (if you do it yourself)
Premix Oil - 50-100$ depending on how much you ride
Bottom end rebuild(maybe) - 200$ (if you do it yourself)
Chain and sprockets - 150$
Sparkplugs - 5-25$

This is a rough estimate in USD. It is also an estimate for an almost perfectly running bike, that has a perfect frame, and this estimate also assumes that you don't crash badly enough to bend, break, or crack anything. (This is highly unlikely).

Like the guy above said, It really can depend on how much you ride it, and whether you take care of it, and whether the previous owner took care of it.

To get a more realistic idea of your riding costs...add those numbers up...then add about 300-500 dollars in parts AND GEAR!!!!

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Yeah, I've spent about $80 in oil for 2 months. And I bent my rim and now need a new rear rim, which I just bought the complete wheel instead. Then the gas also... now too expensive, but a good $100-$150 for the year.. then there's levers, perches, brake pads... all that good stuff.

Apr 30, 2007
(Sorry to hijack the thread)

rossim22, Dennis Kirk has a rear rim (Moose brand) for $99. If your hub is still good, you could probably find a spoke kit pretty easily on fleabay. Also check out MXSouth!

(Returns thread to previous owner).

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
(Sorry to hijack the thread)

rossim22, Dennis Kirk has a rear rim (Moose brand) for $99. If your hub is still good, you could probably find a spoke kit pretty easily on fleabay. Also check out MXSouth!

(Returns thread to previous owner).

But getting it laced and trued would be about another $100 and the one im buying comes with the rim, spokes all in good condition, trued, with brake disc, and tire... which mine's almost bald. all for $225.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How do you spend $80 on oil for 2 months and only $100-$150 on fuel?

Apr 30, 2007
I'd like to email you with some tips and info (I'm dealing with some similar issues with my CR 125 - but your profile is set so I can't email you through this forum. I'd kinda like to stop hijacking this thread :whoa:

85cr

Sep 24, 2007
so all together it would be about 300-500?

when would the top end and bottom end be rebuilt i would be only using the bike to go to practice tracks which is twice a month?

Apr 30, 2007
Yes, very very roughly speaking. Fuel is not included in that price. A more accurate guess is that you may easily end up spending about 700-950 each year.

At the rate of which you're riding, I would say with a rough estimate, that you'll do a top end once a year (if you ride almost all year round).

Knowing some other things would help...

Such as:

What year is the bike?
Are you an aggressive rider? Or do you relax and have fun while you ride?
How big (height/weight) are you? How old are you?
Do you perform regular maintenance on the bike? Or do you take it to a dealer?
Are you willing to pay for higher quality materials? Or is cheaper stuff good enough?
Do you race? And ride with others?
Was the bike new when you got it? Or did somone else have it before you?
If it was pre-owned, how did they treat the bike?
How long have you been riding?
What kind of gear do you wear?
Do you pay for all the costs? Do you have sponsors? (Or generous parents?!)

Knowing things like this will really help with cost estimates...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
85cr said:
how much would you be looking at for parts for a 125 for a year
one MILLION dollars!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTmXHvGZiSY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTmXHvGZiSY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…