How often do I need to get the valves adjusted?

Christoferlee

Nov 5, 2006
I have an 06 CRF 250R and Im rather new to this sport. If I don't ride the bike as hard as most people would, then would it matter how often the valves need adjusted? Im in the process of getting a manual for it so I can do the adjustments myself, But is it very hard to do? and do I need any special tools to do it? :whoa:

krosser

Apr 7, 2003
As Checking is a doddle it's not a big deal to do it as often as possible, within reason. My son is pretty quick but real easy on the bike and has never been close to the limiter which is the killer. I have no idea how he does it but it fools many who chase him and it means in 63 hours i have adjusted one valve and that was early so i believe it was close from the factory.
To adjust you will need a torque wrench, a micrometer, basic math along with the usual suspects.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
yea its pretty easy so if your riding alot check'em like ever 20 hours or so, if your gona just ride trails and playing around then do'em 2X a season :cool:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Christoferlee said:
If I don't ride the bike as hard as most people would, then would it matter how often the valves need adjusted?

It doesn't matter how hard you ride the bike. If you cover the same distance in the same gear the valves are going to open and close the same number of times regardless of how fast you are going.

If you are traveling slower such that you are in a lower gear your bike would actually open and close the valves more than the guy who was riding faster and in a higher gear.

Rod

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rmc_olderthandirt said:
It doesn't matter how hard you ride the bike.
Rod

Rod.

Actually it does matter how the bike is ridden. A trail rider can get away with a much longer interval between valve adjustments than an aggressive racer that is bouncing off of the rev limiter all the time. The titanium valves don't like being reved to the limit and wear very quickly when ridden like that.

Top Bottom