Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
Sometimes I wonder if I push a little to hard. I usually fall about once and hour. Almost always on hills. How often do ya'all fall?

------------------
It is allright to be afraid. Ya just can't let fear dictate your actions.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
falling is a needed result of not doing some thing correctly, it sucks but is fact.

how often you fall is important but what is more important is that you don't fall trying or doing the same thing over and over again.
if you do this then i would change what your doing, it will bite ya.

wardy

------------------
"don't wake me.......I am working."

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I find I fall when I push myself a little bit to hard but you have to push yourself that hard if you want to get better.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Same here. I tend to crash a lot when I'm trying to keep up with an expert enduro rider. I can keep up as long as I take every corner absolutely spot on. But in trying to go at that speed, I often clip a tree or hit the wrong rut and go down. It is good practise though. My speed has increased a lot lately :).

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
i very rarely fall
but right now i only trailride (just found a free mx track near here, YES!)
i'll be flying around a loss packed wide corner thinking, if i fall, i hit a tree, hit my bike, or hit water.
bad bad bad

word of advice:
never screw up

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I always tell people that if you don’t fall you’re not riding as fast as you can since you’re not pushing your limits.

With that said, I rarely fall ;)

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I usually fall one to three times per weekend. However, I've only had three races that I don't remember falling in. However, every year I've been faster than the last and fallen less. This year I've had a few problems trying to go to fast since the top tier of pro's I race against begin the race at an immediately higher pace. My strength is in the middle laps, after I get comfortable and before I get tired.

Wardy's right, figure out why you fall and correct it. I had to conciously train my brain to lean my body less while turning and to stand whenever possible and squeeze.

[This message has been edited by Smitty (edited 04-04-2001).]

motor86

Dec 25, 1999
Falling for me is very rare. I ride as fast as I can go, always. I sometimes look like #4 because if the bike goes sideways or I am about to crash I hang on and ride it out. I once was riding 4th gear wide open in 4 inches of slippery snow. I hit a rut and slide sideways. I went down the trail at 50mph with the bike almost perpendicular to the trail. Then it kicked and I was all over the place, but I hung on.

I mainly crash in turns. The berms on my track sometimes give out, or I place the tire too high on them. I did that about 6 times last year. It is minor, it just lands on its side and I jump away.
check out these stories
The one on top is one of those crashes.

The only other thing that makes me crash is wet logs at an angle to the trail. They always kick my front tire out. I try to wheelie over them but there is very little traction in most places I ride.

Any time you crash just remember how it happened. Try to determine the exact things you did that may have made it happen. Then fix your problem.

------------------
motor86
85' KDX200(mine-for sale) 96' CR250R(mine)  81' YZ125(Dad's)  81' CM400 (my street bike)
Motor86's home page

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I fall almost everytime that i ride, even if i'm not really riding hard. It's a part of the ride, kind of like the reason skis have bindings. Some one said to me if you are not falling, you arent pushing yourself. I fall most of the time when arm pump comes and i'm stating to suck wind.

I also find it reasuring for some reason when i see pro riders fall on videos. Makes you feel like you not the onlyone and that even the best take some big spills...

------------------
faster till the fear of death is outweighed by the thrill of speed...

http://members.tripod.com/casper_12300/

S

Saratoga

Falling and pushing yourself are not dependant on each other. You can push hard and not make a mistake big enough to cause a crash. As you gain more skill, you fall less. Falling means you made a mistake, mistakes are bad. Don't try to turn that into a positive.

By the way, I do crash. I have more money into protective gear than...

[This message has been edited by Saratoga (edited 04-06-2001).]

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by Smitty:
I had to conciously train my brain to lean my body less while turning and to stand whenever possible and squeeze.

[This message has been edited by Smitty (edited 04-04-2001).]

That is my mantra while riding......

Lean the BIKE
Stand UP
Squeeze w/ KNEES

I still fall though.

------------------
Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

avlehtine

Oct 21, 2000
I fall maybe once in three hours (more often in pretty deep snow, those ruts just throw you wherever), and it's always either the front wheel washing out in a corner or the rear sliding out.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I usually fall unloading my bike from the truck :p then trip over the cooler into some cactus ;)

Really I manage to eat some dirt at least once a ride. Last week I plowed a rock with the left foot peg in third gear and it sent the back end and me flying. Smashed the mount all the way up to the engine. A large hammer is always in my tool box. I always say if your not crashing your're going to slow. :p then I stand by and watch as you go by while I'm picking up[ my bike :o

------------------
chicks dig scars, pain heals, glory lives forever

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
OK - I admit it - I fall in the corners a lot - especially right handers... yuck. But it's one of my goals this season to get better at corners... :)

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I don't fall as much as I used to. The only bad part to that is that now when I fall it usually means major carnage.
Over the years I have tried to learn what to do when things are going wrong. I think what has happened is 1) I don't make as many mistakes as I used to 2) I can now save a lot of these mistakes and 3) The ones that I make that I cannot save happen so fast that, well, it's ugly.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.timekeepersmc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.timekeepersmc.com
</A> 97 CR 250
I like 4 strokes...got one in my truck.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
As I have gotten older, I fall less, but it is not due to riding caliber. Rather, it is Pavlovian. I've smacked enough now that I avoid perdicaments that might put me on the ground. At least the ones I recognize from experience. "Ouch, that hurt." (Mind voice on) "Don't do that again." (Mind voice off.)
That said, at least once a ride, I get a "new" experience with the ground or tree or rock or ...

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
i fall more trying to make the bike whip around when doing a U'e. I do it in sand not being fat enough forward and the front end gives out.

this is nothing but annoying because i stay standing and the bike goes down, bending levers =\

i have had only 1 painful fall, right before my bike flew into a lake ;)

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Actually, if you fall you're probably going to slow, it's when you crash that you're going fast..... ;) Short people fall alot hehe

-KTMKyd

[This message has been edited by KTMKyd (edited 04-05-2001).]

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I fall once every 3-4 rides. When I fall though, I FALL HARD!! Just bent my rad, cracked two plastics, and bent my twinwalls(go figure, good thing they are garunteed). I crashed really hard in a hard pack whoops section. I am fine, but not the bike.

------------------
Aaron's web site

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
It seems to me offroader's fall more often than MX'ers as a function of riding time and terrain. In MX the course conditions change as the day progresses but the course itself remains the same. However, in the woods there are more types of soil and obstacles and harder to memorize or repeat. Not a slam either way, I like em both.

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
I always wondered, is it really true if you're not crashing you're not pushing yourself hard enough?
i used to crash alot a few months ago, but now i only crash when i get tired and still wanna take that jump....
but i have improved, i just dont crash very often, but if i do, bet its gonna be a big time crash!!

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I noticed that i don't fall for the same reasons as i did when i first started riding, but have advanced to a new level of eating dirt...

------------------
faster till the fear of death is outweighed by the thrill of speed...

http://members.tripod.com/casper_12300/

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
First thing's first:
CRASHING HAPPENS

It happens to everyone, but everytime you go down there was a reason. Wheter it be (you were too tired, weren't in the right position, or missread a line, went into the corner to hard) there was a reason and the only way to get better is to solve the problem. Otherwise you will make the same mistake again.
Always use you head when riding to prevent the big crashes that should have been avoided!!! For Example: If you have jumped a big double before, but then the water truck goes out and soaks the track, don't go out and just try to wing it first lap out. Use your head and try to ride consciously. Sometimes we get out on the track or trail and loose all reason when riding. ;)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
One of my buddies (who raced A class a few years back and then got into jetskiing - what a loser) told me that the faster you get - the harder you crash. So when I crashed hard enough to knock me out for a few seconds and rip a chunk out of my leg - I took it as a compliment that my speed was improving. Then 2 months later I crashed hard enough to break my collarbone... I just though to myself - "Yes... I'm finally getting faster!!!" :D

(Last year I spent the season trying to keep the bike on two wheels and get faster... a much better plan that the previous one) :confused:

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

[This message has been edited by nikki (edited 04-06-2001).]

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom